How much jail time could I serve if I opt out of drug court? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How much jail time could I serve if I opt out of drug court?

I am a current drug court participant who has served some time in the county jail, court ordered sober living, court ordered transitional living shelter and court ordered drug rehab for that drug offense. If I decide to opt out of drug court how do I calculate the amount of time served and amount of time left to serve if any?

Lowenstein Law Office

It depends on the charges.

Look up the code section you plead to. It should tell you what the maximum is. Usually prison. Subtract all of the time you have been ordered to be in custody. Should give you a rough estimate.

Answer By Terry Nelson

You'll get the answer to that from your attorney, who will negotiate with the DA and judge for a decision. If you entered a plea with deferred sentencing in return for the program, look at your Probation and Sentencing paperwork, it will specify the jail/prison time you were ordered to serve. The time in program does not count as credit for jail time sentenced. If you drop out, you just wasted that time. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.