How much jail time can 10 counts of statutory rape in 2nd degree and 1 count of statutory sodomy in 2nd degree get? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How much jail time can 10 counts of statutory rape in 2nd degree and 1 count of statutory sodomy in 2nd degree get?

A family member of mine was charged with 10 counts of 2nd degree statutory rape and 1 count of 2nd degree statutory sodomy. He has no criminal records. The young lady was 13 years old, and he is 20 years old. Her parents reported it, but they would prefer the judge to be light on him. What is a likely sentence for him?

Each count of those offenses carries 20 or 30 years. Ultimately, sentencing depends on the seriousness of the offense, the defendants prior record, mitigation, allocution, and the judge.

Answer By John J. Carney
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.

He could get a long prison term, but he could get a year and probation. He will be a registered sex offender. His parents should have told him not to have sex with children and what the consequences would be if they did not it is partly their fault, but at his age he certainly should have known it was statutory rape to have sex with a 13 year old.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

If convicted of those exact charges, prison is likely.

I would need further information to answer. Sentencing is up to the judge. He should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances to see if he should plea bargain to try to get the best sentence or whether he should go to trial.

There is no set time.

I do not know about where you are but in Michigan this could carry a lot of time, If the girl was under 13 when it started then at least 25 years.

Answer By Robert Giannini
Giannini Law Office, PC

Quite frankly, he is facing 25 years to life for sodomy with 13 year old girl alone. I hope he has a great lawyer. He is going to need one. I would need to know more to tell you what the likely sentence would be, but based on the very limited facts you have provided, I would say he is looking at 25 years in prison followed by lifetime on the sex offender registry. That is way too harsh.

In New Jersey a 2nd degree offense exposes someone to 5 to 10 Years in jail, Your saying the guy has 10 counts, he is obviously looking at time. It doesn't matter What the parents want, if he has sex with a,13 Year old then he is guilty. It all depends What the Prosecutor offers by way of a plea bargain and if the Judge approves ante plea deal.

Answer By Jared Austin

Even if the judge goes "light" on him he's still going to prison. Unless the case is pleaded down greatly and I mean greatly. His sentencing guidelines would be through the roof if he were convicted of everything he's charged with. He needs an experienced CSC attorney representing him.

Answer By John F Brennan

It is impossible to predict with knowledge of the circumstances. He needs an attorney, now.