How long will a retail fraud stay on your record? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How long will a retail fraud stay on your record?

How long will a retail fraud stay on your record? I was 17 when it happened and now I'm 20. I wanted to know if someone checked my background will it show up if it happened twice at 17?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

Retail frauds stay on your record permanently unless the plea and conviction were part of a sentencing diversionary program (HYTA, etc.) that will seal them from the record or they get expunged.

Answer By Jared Austin

Were you charged as a juvenile or as an adult? If it was as a juvenile, then your record is sealed from the public. If as an adult, were you given a diversion program option or HYTA status which would keep the charge off of your public record? If not, all crimes that enter on your record will stay there forever unless sealed or expunged. If eligible for an expungement, you will have to wait at least five years before applying.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

Thank you for your inquiry If nothing is done, a misdemeanor is always on your record. The only solution in Michigan is a Motion For Expungement. This is available for non-excluded offenses after 5 years if you have no other convictions for any other misdemeanors or felonies. You should consult with an attorney for availability of this in your case. I hope that this was helpful.

Answer By Steven Dunnings

Unless you file a petition to have your record expunged in the court that convicted you 6 years after the date of conviction AND you have no more criminal convictions before you file the petition, it will stay there for your life.

Answer By Craig Elhart

A criminal record is for life. If there is only one conviction, after 5 years, you could move to have it expunged.

Forever unless you get it expunged. Criminal convictions never get off your record automatically. They stay there unless you take steps to get them erased and that can be done only under certain circumstances. Criminal convictions are not like points on a driving record.

Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC

Will be there forever if happened twice

Answer By Loren Dickstein
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.

It will stay on your record forever unless you have the conviction set aside by way of a motion in the court where your conviction occured.