How long is the usual period of time for license suspension? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How long is the usual period of time for license suspension?

How long is the usual period of time for license suspension? I have a previous DUI and I was stopped by the police last week. My BAC is 0.08 and I might get a conviction. What do I need to do to avoid having my license suspended?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

With any criminal charge, I strongly urge you to get a lawyer. There can be long-term consequences and you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Simply because a person is charged does not mean that they are guilty of any offense. The prosecutor must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. You have a right to legal counsel and should not be afraid to exercise your rights. As for your license, it depends on your prior history. You may have an option to appeal any suspension and ask for a restricted license through the Secretary of State, but it depends on your circumstances.

A second occurence with a .08 test result should be 1 year suspension followed by a 1 yr restriction for an ignition interlock device.

If you are convicted it is a mandatory suspension of your driving privileges for not less than one year.

Answer By Steve Freeborn

So this appears to be your second DUI. If convicted, you are looking at a 2 year license revocation. The only thing you may be able to do, if you have not already done so, is enter into a deferred prosecution. This is a drug/alcohol program for people who acknowledge to the court that they have a substance abuse problem and have been diagnosed with such by a state license and approved alcohol drug treatment program. This program rums a minimum of 2 years and is quite intense and time consuming. In could also quite possibly include a period of inpatient treatment.

Answer By John Toivonen

A second conviction for drunk driving within a 7-year-period can result in a number of very serious penalties. If convicted you will lose your license for a minimum of one year. You can be sentenced to serve from 5 days to one year in jail, or receive 30 to 90 days of community service. If convicted it is very likely that you will serve time. You need to speak with a criminal defense attorney.

You need to avoid a conviction. Two duis results in a revocation of at least a year.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

Your attorney will explain all of the details about your license. With OWI (intoxicated), you would lose your license for 30 days and then have a restricted license for 5 months. You would pay financial responsibility fees of $1000 per year for 2 years. With OWI (Impaired), you would have a restricted license for 90 days. Financial responsibility fees are $500 for two years.

Answer By G. Wayne Hynum
Hynum Law Office, LLC

In Mississippi conviction of a second DUI within a five year period results in your driver's license being suspended for two (2) years.

Read the pink form, request a hearing immediatelly as it says and consult an experienced certified criminal law specialist.

A second or subsequent conviction within 15 years will subject to a loss of license for at least 45 days after the temporary license expires. A low test may allow us to keep you from getting a convictions.