How long does theft stay on your record? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How long does theft stay on your record?

I have a theft charge on my record but it’s been over 10 years. I would like to know can I clear my record because I want to go back to school for dental hygienist?

It stays forever. You can seek an expungement however and then the entire history of your case from arrest to expungements will be listed by the Department of Justice. It is not accessible to the public except for law enforcement and some licensing agencies as well anyone to whom you give permission to look at it.

It stays on your record permanently unless you make an application to get it expunged and they grant it. You should hire an attorney to try to expunge it.

Lowenstein Law Office

Forever, unless you expunge your criminal record. For help with expungement, For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.

If.it was a misdemeanor.you can have it expunged.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

You have the option of pursuing an expungement which would remove the conviction from your criminal record. Otherwise, even though it may not be used against you in criminal proceedings after a certain time period, it is likely to remain on your record indefinitely. Our firm handles a large number expungements on a regular basis. If you are interested in pursuing an expungement in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.

Answer By Tracey Sang

You need an expungement. I assume you successfully completed probation and that the conviction was for a misdemeanor. If it was a felony, you need to also ask for a reduction. You can actually do this on your own without an attorney but it's obviously better if you have one. I do these motions often. Feel free to contact me.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

In Michigan, an expungement is available for non-excluded offenses after 5 years. There can only be the one offense on your record, and no other misdemeanors or felonies. A petition needs to be filed with the Court where the conviction occurred. Your record has to be run for the Court in the manner proscribed by statute. Contact my office for an appointment should you need assistance in this matter. We can then discuss fees and the procedure. I hope that this was helpful.

Law Office of James A Schoenberger

In WA theft 1 is a class B felony and theft 2 is a class C felony. Class B felonies may be expunged after ten years and class C felonies after five years.

If you never were convicted of the charge, you can get it expunged. In Illinois, if you got a sentence of supervision, you can get that expunged, as well. If you got any other sentence (fine alone, probation or jail time), you will not be able to get it expunged. However, you possibly could get it sealed, where no one will know about it except law enforcement agencies or the courts. Talk to the clerk of the court where you get the case, in order to file the appropriate paperwork.

Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman

In Montana it is a permanent record. There is no way to expunge criminal records in Montana.

Answer Applies to: Montana