How long does it take for police to finish an investigation? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How long does it take for police to finish an investigation?

I work for a cleaning service. I was told by my boss it was okay to take someone with me to clean. Someone's personal info was stolen and used and now they are saying I'm under investigation for something that I didn't do but I'm held responsible because I'm the one working there. The incident took place in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

Answer By Jared Austin

It all depends on a number of factors the complexity of the case, the priority of the case (how serious or how pressing is it), the evidence trail and how cooperative the witnesses are, etc. If you are under investigation, do NOT speak to the police, agree to speak to the police, or take any polygraphs without first consulting with a lawyer. Be proactive and get an experienced criminal defense lawyer on board now. Don't wait until charges are filed.

Answer By John F Brennan

See a defense attorney and provide the details BEFORE you have any further contact with the authorities or make statement to your employer. You, hopefully, have a defense. You want to clear this as quickly and therefore as economically as possible before you are charged and have to defend yourself in a criminal action.

It can take as long as they like. They have 6 years to bring charges and some investigations take very long.

Answer By Mattias Johnson
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.

Unfortunately, there is no set time for these investigations. It could be over relatively quickly but could also potentially take years.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

Be careful talking to police. Be cooperative, but if it seems like they suspect you of wrongdoing, ask for attorney and stop talking. It can take police time to investigate, and not a set time limit. Do not even talk to boss about incident, but again do not disrespect your boss either. If boss gave you permission, that could help you.