How long do I have to press sexual assault charges after an assault has occurred? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How long do I have to press sexual assault charges after an assault has occurred?

My stepfather sexually assaulted me when I was 4 and 13. Is it too late to press charges?

Forever in Wyoming, there is no statute of limitations in this state. You may file charges in Wyoming.

Answer Applies to: Wyoming

Answer By Mark Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo

You did not indicate how old you are now. You should contact your local police to inquire about the time frame to press criminal charges.

Depends on how old you are now. Just go to the police.

Answer By Melvin Franke

You need to make a police report and ask the police to send it to the Prosecuting Attorney. He will decide whether or not to prosecute.

Answer By Victor Varga

Sorry, I do not handle criminal matters, but the police or state?s attorney will have your answer.

Legally, there may be a 'statute of limitations' which would prevent the prosecuting attorney from pursuing the case or protect the perpetrator from being held responsible. My advice is to file a report with your local police and let it and the prosecutor determine whether to fle charges.

There is no statute of limitations to bring criminal charges for sexual assault. It does become more difficult, however, with the passage of time. You should contact the law enforcement agency in the City or County where the assaults occurred.

Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.

Under Michigan law if you are under the age of 23 years you could still file a complaint because the statute requires that a complaint be filed by age 21 or within 10 years of the last offense. If the sexual assault is a forcible rape there is no statute of limitations. If you qualify under the statute you should immediately report what happened to you to the police.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

You did not state your age now, but my best guess is no, it is not. Contact the District Attorney in your county.

Check your state's statute of limitations statute, or simply contact your local district attorney's office and relay your story. They will know if the statute has run on your case. In most areas there is a 7 year statute for most crimes, the most notable exception is murder). The question to answer is when does the statute begin to run. I would think that for crimes that happened to you when you were age 3 and 14 that you would be given some additional time since you were only a minor and wouldn't have been allowed to sign the affidavits on your own. Again, I would advise you to contact the district attorney's office.