How does losing my job affect my chapter 13 bankruptcy trustee? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How does losing my job affect my chapter 13 bankruptcy trustee?

I have chapter 13 trustee and I lost my job how does that affect my case?

Answer By Eric Lewis

To get the benefit of the discharge of debt in Chapter 13, you have to be able to continue making all of your timely plan payments. You may qualify for conversion to Chapter 7 with no income or with some income, a modification of your current 13.

Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.

Meet with your attorney to see if you can convert to a Chapter 7.

The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm

Among other things, if your income declines you may now have the opportunity to either file an amended plan with a lower payment plan or the opportunity to convert your case to chapter 7.

Ursula G. Barrios Law

If your job loss doesn't give you enough to make your necessary payments in Chapter 13, case dismissed or can convert to Chapter 7.

Answer By Stephen Harkess
Colorado Legal Solutions

It depends on where you are in the Chapter 13 case. A long term loss of income before the plan is confirmed may make getting a plan confirmed impossible if payments would not be feasible. If you are in a confimred plan, the change in income may justify modification of the plan depending on what debts the plan was set up to address and how much room it leaves for changes. In some cases, your change of income may justify conversion to a Chapter 7 case and entry of discharge. You should talk to your bankruptcy attorney.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

It will affect your case if you cannot continue to make the plan payments.

Having a steady income is one of the main requirements of Chapter 13, because it is through your earnings that you are able to pay the Chapter 13 plan payments. If you have lost your job, you need to tell your attorney immediately so you can discuss a modification to your plan. If you don't get replacement employment in a relatively short time and are unable to make your plan payments, your Chapter 13 may be dismissed.

Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law

You case will be dismissed by the Trustee if you do not continue making your plan payments

Ross Smith, Attorney at Law

You must notify the trustee immediately of your unemployment. Also provide the trustee with proof of any unemploynment compensation you will get. Then ask the trustee, in writing, to reduce or temporarily stop your payments, until you are employed. Your attorney should do all of this automatically. I hope you have one.

Lake Forest Bankruptcy

Yes. If you will be unemployed a long time, you should contact your attorney and let them know what is going on. Actually, you should contact your attorney in any case. If you don't have counsel in this matter, wait and see whether you will be unemployed-If you will find a job quickly at about the same amount of income, you don't need to change anything. If not, you may need to convert your case.