How do I sign over sole legal and physical custody of my child? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How do I sign over sole legal and physical custody of my child?

How do I sign over sole legal and physical custody of my child to her father?

Answer By Mark Petersen
Snake River Law PLLC

If you want to sign over sole legal and physical custody for a child to the other parent then you need to create a custody agreement that states the other parent has sole legal and physical custody. This agreement would then be filed with the court and the judge would sign an order granting sole custody to the other parent. I would suggest that you contact a local family law attorney to draft the documentation for you or at least go to your local county courthouse and meet with the court assistance office.

Answer By Dave Hawkins
The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins

If there is a parenting plan in effect, you may Petition to modify the PP based don Agreement designating him as the primary custodial parent. You would then be paying child support to him. Absent this procedure, it would be a crime simply to abandon your child. There is simply no way to run away from being a parent absent adoption.

Answer By John Hugger
Attorney & Counselor at Law

Are you sure you want to do that? It is possible to do.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

Are there any court orders at this time? If so, it is really easy, just get a lawyer to draft up the agreed custody orders and file them. If there are no orders right now, you need to get the case file started, that can still be done by a single lawyer, if all is agreed. The primary differences is that a filing fee for an original case is substantially more, there is more paperwork, and the Judge will require at least one of you to show up for a hearing (many judges will sign agreed orders to modify if they can compare prior signatures to the ones on the modified orders without a hearing).

If there is a Paternity case on file, a Stipulation and Order modifying Child Custody would accomplish the purpose. If there is no such Paternity case on file, one of the parents should file a Paternity case, and the parties should enter into a Judgment providing that the father is awarded physical and legal custody.

Answer By Dean T Jennings
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.

Mutual written Agreement signed, filed and approved with a Court Order by the Judge.

Answer Applies to: Iowa

Answer By Melvin Franke

Hire a lawyer to prepare the necessary documents.

Answer By Lance Salladay

There has to be a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights and a sufficient reason to do so- then if a court is satisfied with the reason and that it is in the best interest of the child, a document must be signed in front of the judge- there has to be a hearing before the Petition will be granted.

Law Office of Roianne H. Conner

You must file documents in either Juvenile Court if you were never married or in divorce court if you were.

Answer By John Kirchner

You can only do that effectively as part of a judicial proceeding related to the allocation of parental responsibilities. If you do it any other way it may or may not be sufficient and it won't be permanently binding.