How do I reopen a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How do I reopen a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case?

I filed a Chapter 7. Can this case be reopened?

Answer By Marvin Wolf
The Law Office of Marvin Wolf

Depends on why the case needs to be reopened. A case does not need to be reopened to add an omitted creditor, for example. To pursue a claim against a listed creditor who is attempting to collect post-discharge, it can be reopened by motion to reopen.

Answer By Eric Lewis

Generally, Chapter 7 cases can be reopened for good cause shown and filing a Motion to Reopen with the court's filing fee of $260.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

A chapter 7 case can be re-opened by motion and deposit of the filing fee. This can only be done for a limited number of reasons.

Answer By Cate Eranthe
Eranthe Law Firm

You can bring a motion to reopen a case but why do you want to?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger

To reopen a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case, you need to bring a motion and pay the filing fee. Before you act, you should consult with a certified specialist in bankruptcy law (like me) to be sure that moving to reopen the bankruptcy case is the best thing for you to do.

Bankruptcy law allows a Chapter 7 to reopened for cause. Whether you have cause affects if you can (you didn't say why), and, since you only get one shot and don't want to blow it, you need a lawyer to have the best chance of doing it. Bear in mind it is up to a judge whether or not the case is reopened.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Bankruptcy cases are reopened by filing a motion to reopen. Most Bankruptcy courts will charge a new filing fee. If you are reopening a case to add a creditor, it may be unnecessary. Contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney to find out.

Ross Smith, Attorney at Law

You must file a motion to re-open. When you do, you should tell the Court your best reasons why it should re-open your case. You may want to get an attorney for this matter. We are usually worth our hire. And an attorney can tell you why you were dismissed and how to aoid being dismissed again. Remember the definition of insanity. Call the Clerk of Courts and make sure you know the fee for filing to reopen. It ain't cheap

Answer By David H. Relkin
Law Offices of David H. Relkin

The answer depends on why are you opening it and how long was it closed. The length of time could prevent opening or the incurrence of a debt after the petition in bankruptcy.

You have provided insufficient information. A Chapter 7 can be re-opened, but it has to be on appropriate cause. What is the reason you want to re-open?