How do I get my name on my son's birth certificate? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How do I get my name on my son's birth certificate?

I have a 3-year-old son. I've had him since he was 2 months old. I wasn't there when he was born so my name isn't on the birth certificate. His mom will sign anything I need. Everybody tells me to get a lawyer. I can't afford that. It's no contest my child. Just need my name on the certificate.

The reason everyone tells you that you need a lawyer is that you do. As a general rule, you will have to address child support, visitation, custody, a parenting plan and other issues in the required court case.

Answer By Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook

You don't just need to be on the birth certificate, you need to have a custody order. You need to file for paternity and custody in Juvenile court.

Rebecca Rainwater

You need to contact California Office of Vital Records M.S. 5103 P.O. Box 997410 Sacramento, CA 95899-7410 Telephone: (916) 445-2684 California Relay: 711/1-800-735-2929 http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/default.aspx To change or add the father to your child's birth certificate, you will have to complete one of the following forms: Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage: To add the father if he was not identified on the child's original birth certificate. This form must be signed by both parents (if either parent refuses to sign the Acknowledgement form, you will need to go to court using the adjudication process).

441 Legal Group, Inc.

You need to file a petition to establish paternity.

I do not know what state you live in, but you could ask at the family court. You may be able to do this through the State Health Department, Vital Records. You might call them and ask. You do not need a lawyer. You might need a DNA test .

If you were not married, getting your name on the child?s birth certificate accomplishes nothing. The easiest way for you to be adjudicated the father is to prepare an acknowledgment of paternity (there is a form), sign it, and have the mother sign it. If the mother was married at the time, her husband is the presumed father and he will need to sign also (denying his paternity). All signatures must be notarized.

Answer By Steven Alpers

Go on the California dept of health website there should be a form available.

Answer By Eric Smith
The Law Office of Eric J Smith

Texas response: Your name on the birth certificate has no legal significance, unless you were married to the child's mother at the time of the birth. What would give you legal rights at this point with regard to your child is a determination of parentage by a court. For this, you typically do need a lawyer, but you could make the filing on your own. The child's mother could also call the Attorney General's office and get this process going without initial cost to you, though they will look to someone as the non-custodial parent to pay child support.

Answer By Melvin Franke

You need to file what is called a paternity case. It determines that you are the father and will award custody, child support and health insurance

Answer By Janis L. Blough

You need to sign an affidavit of parentage: www.michigan.gov/documents/parentage_10872_7.pdf
Follow the directions on the back of the form to have your name added to the birth certificate.