How do I find out if an estate has been closed? - Estate Planning Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How do I find out if an estate has been closed?

How do I get the deed to land that was left to me in a will? My lawyer is nowhere to be found. Who can tell me that the estate has been closed?

Answer By Erven Nelson

You can call the court, look up the case on the internet (in Clark County) or get a lawyer to help you.

Answer By Edwin K. Niles

You must have something with the case number. Go to your county's superior court web-site and look it up. If you don't have the case number you can still index the case number. You can also go to Calbar to get the status and address for your lawyer. What did we do before computers?

Answer By Edward M. Burgh

Do you have the estate number? If so, you can look it up. If not, you should check the county where she lived.

Law Offices of William J. Hagan

Generally, your best approach would be to contact the probate court for the district in which the decedent lived at the time of his or her death. If you are confident that you were named as a beneficiary, you would have likely received notice from the probate court when the estate was opened. I would ask the clerk of the probate court, having explained your circumstances, and you may get information most expeditiously in doing so. In the specific case you describe, where you need to know the status of a gift to you of real estate, I would also check the land records of the city or town in which the property was located. The index would show the estate as grantor and you as beneficiary if in fact: 1) there was such a gift made in the will; 2) the executor actually signed an executor's deed to you of that property, and 3) the deed was recorded. But once again, your most immediate interest is knowing whether the estate is still open, and the clerk of the probate court would be the best source of that information.

Answer By Douglas A. Tull
DOUGLAS A. TULL, P.C.

Check with the Probate Court for the county in which the decedent died - it would help if you have a Probate case number.

Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.

You can visit the Court and review the file yourself. Second, you can engage a new lawyer who specializes in estates to assist you.

Answer By Frances Headley

You can review the court probate file or have someone do it for you. Any estate that is closed will have a filed Order for Distribution.

Go to the court where the estate was opened and look it up there.

Answer By Scott Polsky
Scott Polsky

I can do a records search for the deed and estate filing information. You also should retain a new lawyer to handle the estate if you cannot find the current estate lawyer.

You can check with the clerk of court in the county where the decedent last resided to see if the estate has been probated completely. The personal representative, the person that the decedent wanted to administer their estate and normally named in the will, should have contacted you during the probate process. To get a copy of the deed you can obtain that from the public records of the county where the land is situated.