How do I defend myself from my parents evicting me from their house? - Landlord and Tenants Law Questions and Answers-

Free Answers to your Legal Questions by Lawyers.
ask »

How do I defend myself from my parents evicting me from their house?

How do I defend myself from my parents evicting me from their house? I have just graduated high school and I have no job or money. I don't have anywhere to go not even friends. I don't have anything at all. I have become very angry with them and they have said they would use what I have said against me. What should I do? I am scared of being evicted knowing I will never have the life I want if I am evicted

Frances R. Johnson
Contact this Attorney Now

If your parents actually file to evict you in court, you might ask the court about going to mediation to see if a neutral party can help you and your parents resolve your differences.

Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/29/2011

Answer By Jared Altman
Law Office of Jared Altman
Contact this Attorney Now

I suspect that there is more going on here than meets the eye. But, the answer to your question is "yes", they can evict you. Have you suggested that you either with or without them go for counseling?

Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/29/2011

Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Contact this Attorney Now

You are a legal adult and cannot rely on your parents for support. Perhaps if you get a job, make plans for the future and show your parents you are on the right path they will allow you to stay. Offer to pay them rent from your job. If you want to have the life you desire, it will not be handed to you.

Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/29/2011

Answer By T. Andrew Coyle
The Coyle Law Office
Contact this Attorney Now

If you are over 18, your parents have no legal responsibility to allow you to live in their house. So, you may not have any great options available outside of trying to work things out with your parents. This would ultimately be governed by state law, so it may good to discuss your options with a local attorney.

Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/29/2011

© 2017 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | IB Cookie Policy