How di I stop child support payments after my kids are of legal age? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How di I stop child support payments after my kids are of legal age?

How do I stop child support payment after my kids are of legal age? My case was handled in 1993, both kids from the marriage are now 21, and 19.

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law

You need to file a Supplemental Petition or Motion, preferably with the court where the child support order was issued. Do this as soon as possible, as it can be very difficult to get the money back once it is paid to the other party.

If you are the person paying the support payments, just stop paying the child support when the child reaches the age specified in the Judgment for the support payments to stop. If the support payments are being deducted from your paycheck and paid by your employer, you should consult with and/or retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to prepare, file and serve appropriate documentation to terminate support deductions via Wage Assignment from your pay.

Answer By Joanna Mitchell
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.

You need to file a motion to terminate child support obligation due to emancipation of the children. However, if you still have arrearages, you may have to still continue paying until those are paid in full. You really should consult with an attorney to assist you with this as soon as possible. My office offers free consultations if you would like to discuss your matter further. If you would like to schedule a free telephone consultation, please contact my office.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

It is supposed to automatically stop per the terms of the orders. Look at the orders, if there is no provision for stopping, it, file a motion with the court.

Answer By John Kirchner

If it is a Colorado court support order, the law currently says no new order is required once all children are 19 or older. However, if the support is being paid by an involuntary payroll deduction you may need to get a termination order if the employer isn't willing to stop. To get that order, you need to file a motion with the court.

Answer By Paul Zahn

The order should be self terminating. If you are on a garnishment, then you need to file a motion to quash the garnishment. If you are looking for an attorney and are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.

Answer By Jay W. Neff
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni

In Washington, your child support order should tell you. First, I assume that we are talking about current support only. Paragraphs 3.13 and 3.14 of your child support order will tell you when current support stops. Generally, paragraph 3.13 will say something like: support terminates when the child is both out of high school and over the age of 18 except as set forth in paragraph 3.14. Paragraph 3.14 deals with support for collect. If there is no college support and if there are no special circumstances that might extend support, then, one a child is over 18 and out of high school, current support is supposed to stop. There is also the issue of back support. If there is back support owed for missed payments that arrearage can be collected for up to ten years after the current support ends, depending on how much back support you owe. Once the end date for current support is passed and all back support is paid, you should be able to just stop paying. If that doesn't happen for some reason, or if someone tries to continue to collect support, you may have to go back to court to ask the court to order the support be terminated.

If there is an income withholding order in place you should go to the courthouse at which the case was heard and file a termination of the orders since the children have reached the age where support is no longer payable. If there is no such withholding you simply stop paying.

Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler

You would have to file a motion to modify and terminate child support.

Answer By Robert English
The English Law Firm

There should be a provision in the judgment for support to automatically terminate. However, if you are still being garnished, you may need to take action. If a child support services agency is collecting or enforcing the matter, then you can contact them. If there is no enforcement agency, you can motion the court to terminate the payments.