How can I take care of an open warrant without getting arrested? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How can I take care of an open warrant without getting arrested?

How does one go about fixing an open warrent if they didn't know one missed a court date, with out getting arrested or anything other things?

Go to the clerk of court and find out what the new bail has been set at. You can also file a motion to quash and recall the outstanding warrant, but it is best to have a lawyer with you if you do that, and as it is possible the judge will deny your motion, or set a lower bail in its stead, have a relative or friend also go with some money to post a new bail, if so ordered by the court. Do not let the warrant stay outstanding, for if arrested, more likely than not, you will not catch any break and the amount of outstanding bail ordered will stand.

Answer By Mitch Furman

If you just missed the court date, there is probably a return date on forfeiture that's set. So you need to go to that court date. Otherwise, you have to file a motion to quash and recall the warrant and vacate bond forfeiture.

Answer By Myles Hahn III

A warrant means that any police officer who finds out about it MUST arrest you to be brought to court. Some people file motions to have cases brought back onto court calls. You should probably speak to an attorney about this.