How can I reverse legal guardianship? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How can I reverse legal guardianship?

I live in one state and my son is in another state. Because of financial issues I allowed my friend to take guardianship of my infant son. For insurance purposes we went through the court system. My friend and her husband have been granted temporary guardianship. I let me wishes be known that it is now time for me to regain custody of my son. How do I go about this?

Hire a lawyer. It's almost always worth the investment. Your lawyer will likely advise you to file a petition to terminate the guardianship. Of course you will need some legally cognisable grounds for terminating the guardianship, but they may already exist. Good Luck.

Answer By Arlene D. Kock

More information is needed. If this is a case that originated in California then it's possible that California continues to have jurisdiction to modify or terminate the orders.

Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.

Need to petition the probate court where the guardianship was granted.

Answer By Martin A. Kahan

When the temporary guardianship expires you should be able to take your son, unless they file for a permanent legal guardianship. You should consult with a probate attorney.

Answer By Diane L. Berger

You simply have to file to terminate guardianship in the court where the original guardianship was filed.