How can I get transportation to work after a DUI? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How can I get transportation to work after a DUI?

I was charged with a DUI and my drivers license was taken from me. I need a way to get to work, but I cant drive without my license. Is it possible to go to the DMV and get a temporary license until I get my license back?

Lowenstein Law Office

It depends on several factors.

On a first offense you can get a restricted license after the first 30 days of suspension by enrolling in an approved alcohol program.

Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC

After 30 days of hard suspension, you can apply for a restricted license for a fee of $120, proof of insurance, and enrollment in a court approved alcohol class. This is assuming it is your first DUI.

Answer By Jeff Yeh

Yes, as long as you or your attorney requests a hearing and stay within 10 days of arrest, you can drive on a temporary license while the case is pending, and the temporary is just as good as a regular license.

Answer By Terry Nelson

You can apply to DMV for a restricted license allowing driving only to work or school. Do so, and follow their rules.

Answer By Rick Mueller
San Diego DUI Law Center

License restriction, duplicate, etc.

Answer By Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum

When you were arrested you were given a temporary license that is good for 30 days. Within 10 days after your arrest if you requested a administrative per se hearing from the DMV your license suspension will be stayed (license remains valid) until the conclusion of the DMV process. If you have not requested a DMV hearing and the 30 day temporary license has expired, then you need to enroll in the AB 541 class. When enrolled, you will face a 1 month -no driving- suspension after which you will be eligible for a restricted license (to-from work/during work/to-from DUI class)for 5 months. If you are under 21 and did not request a hearing, then your license will be suspended for 1 year. You need to file the form DS-694 with the DMV to request a critical need license restriction. If this is a second or subsequent DUI, an IID will be required and more time suspended/restricted.

Answer By Joseph A. Katz

You were issued a 30-day temporary license when you were released from custody after the initial arrest (or should have been). If you notified the DMV within ten days that you wanted an APS hearing (as you should have), then your driving privilege would extend past thirty days, and at least for some brief period of time past the Hearing date, should you not prevail at that hearing. After that, there is a mandatory 30-day suspension of your driving privilege. There is no exception. After thirty days, upon proof of enrollment in the AB-541 (or another program, if your blood alcohol was over 0.20% or if it was not your first DUI) and proof of an SR-22 insurance certificate, you would be able to obtain a restricted license. The restricted license would specifically enable you to drive to and from work,your DUI class and AA meetings (and Court?). As a practical matter, I have not seen law enforcement attempt to prosecute anyone for driving at any time with a restricted license in over ten years, which attempts were ludicrous and unsuccessful. You can always be on your way to one AA meeting, or another.

Answer By Elliott Zarabi
Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi

Depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to get a restricted drivers license.

Answer By Dennis Roberts

After you have been suspended for 30 days you can go to the DMV and get a "to and from work" and "to and from DUI program". You can only use it for these two purposes.