How can I get support from my son's father if he got deported? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How can I get support from my son's father if he got deported?

My son's father was ordered to pay child support including back support. He was then deported that same week. Am I able to obtain any support from him with him being in Mexico? Why should he get out of supporting his son just because he is in Mexico?

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

He is not off the hook just because he was deported. However, the practical reality is that you will have a very difficult time collecting the money. The support due continues to accrue and if he ever reenters the US, you can sue for arrears. There may also be a means to sue him over a border, but that is an expensive proposition and even if you win, you are back to square one, how do you collect.

Answer By John Hugger
Attorney & Counselor at Law

Yo should and can get a support order from the District Court in Colorado where your son lives. I am not sure of collection in Mexico but if the father returns to the USA the order would be enforceable in the US against him.

Answer By Paul A. Eads
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.

I would request the aide of child support services department.

Some US states have entered into reciprocal agreements with the Mexican government, so you should contact your state child support office.

Answer By John Kirchner

You need to understand the difference between legal obligations and the ability to enforce those obligations. You can initiate legal proceedings to set child support; but, collecting that money from someone in Mexico will require you to go to Mexico to do it unless he has income or property in the United States.

Answer By Cassandra Savoy
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy

If you think that the country where your husband has been deported will honor a US judgement for child support.

Answer By Jay W. Neff
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni

I would not begin to know. However, my guess is that you will have to hire someone who practices in Mexico. That person should be able to tell you whether Mexico will honor a support order entered here, and what you will have to do to enforce it in Mexico. I suppose you also have the probably of locating the dad in Mexico.

Answer By Glenn E. Tanner

Talk to the Department of child support about their success in collecting in your situation.