How can I get my criminal record cleaned for the military? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How can I get my criminal record cleaned for the military?

I was with my brother in Wal-Mart and he stole some dvds, and when we were leaving a store worker grabbed me and I pushed him up against the wall. They searched my brother and found the dvds on him, searched me and found nothing. Called the police, And I lied about my age by saying I was 17, but was still charged. I've never had a court date for the crimes, No warrant or anything. Reason for my question is I'm trying to join the military, but the charges came up when I had my live scan. I was wondering how can I get this mess taken care of or get any information on it. I went to the police station where they took us, but the police officer was being mean and didn't release any information to me. The clerk said the statue of limitations has passed. If so, why are the charges still showing up? How can I get it taken care of?

Answer By Jared Austin

I would suggest calling the county prosecutor's office to find out what is going on. Were you charged or not? If so, then that is why it is showing up and you will need to get that matter resolved or else it will remain on your record. If you were not charged, I don't know why it would be showing up. Call the prosecutor to find out what is going on.

Answer By Maury Beaulier

Your record would have to be reviewed to determine what occurred and whether you may qualify for an expungement sealing the record. You should consult with legal counsel.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

You may want to consider pursuing an expungement to have your record cleared of the charges. Contact a criminal defense attorney in your local area who will be able to assist you with this. Expungements can be quite effective but for certain jobs, especially governmental ones, charges may still need to be disclosed. As long as you do not also have any convictions, you may not have any problems. My office handles a large number of expungements on a regular basis. If you are interested in pursuing an expungement in this matter in Louisiana, I invite you to contact my firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.

Answer By Michael Palumbo

None of this makes any sense because there should be a warrant for your arrest if you had charges but never went to court. You will have to retain our office (i.e. pay us) to research this with the authorities for you.

Answer By Craig Andersen

Well, if they charged you and you failed to appear, the Statute of Limitations is tolled or put on hold. Consequently, the charge may remain active. There is some potential that you may have been charged with robbery because there was physical force involved. I would suggest you check with the county Clerk's Office where the theft occurred and see if there is a warrant out. If so, you will need to schedule a time to ask the judge to "quash" the warrant. You will have to deal with the charge or charges if they are active. If the Statute of Limitations has run, you will need to file a petition to have your record expunged.

If all the facts are true you should not have a charge showing up on your record. It should only come up as a misdemeanor arrest with the charges drop or never filed. If this is keeping you out of the military then consult in person with an attorney and have him handle it for you.

August 15, 2011 You may need an attorney to clear this one up. There are no expungement laws in the State of Alabama. If you were not charged and did not have a disposition in Court you should not have a criminal record for a conviction. If arrested, you should have had a court date to resolve the arrest. It might be that you need to have the arrest records cleared.

Night Life Lawyers

It sounds like the record of your arrest is what is showing up. You can get your record sealed, which makes it so the arrest never occurred; you can truthfully answer "no" when asked if you have ever been arrested. An attorney can assist you in sealing your records, feel free to contact my office.

You should contact the court to see if charges were actually filed, they may have been but for some reason they may not have notified you of a court date. It also may be that the court has no record of it because althoughthe police filed a reportthe prosecutor decided not to pursue yourcase. You could hire an attorney to try to expunge your record.

Answer By Steven Dunnings

Get a copy of your criminal history from the County Clerks office were the incident occurred. What might be showing up is a record of an arrest but not a conviction