How can I find out if I have a State warrant or a countrywide warrant? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

How can I find out if I have a State warrant or a countrywide warrant?

I did not finish a 3 year probation from 1991-1994 the last 6 months I failed to contact them.

Answer By Lacy Fields
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC

An attorney can usually run you in a warrant database and let you know.

Law Office of Michael E. Dailey

State Highway Patrol usually has record research capacity better that than some smaller departments. A larger city also has the capacity but may not be responsive to a request for something they are not actively investigating. Of course, a state warrant may result in an arrest if the discovery and warrant is confirmed.

Answer By John J. Carney
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.

It will be a state warrant and they will probably not extradite for a violation of probation on a misdemeanor. I would advise you to surrender with a lawyer and clear it up before you get arrested on the warrant at a border, airport, or traffic stop in that state.

You are not going to locate a warrant, until you turn yourself into probation, or are stopped by police. Good luck.

Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.

Contact the County Probation Office and your State Parole Department.

If for a felony, it is a country-wide warrant, whereas if for a misdemeanor, it would be in the state where the case was held. From what you say, and the amount of paper given out, you are facing a felony warrant.

You could call the court that the matter is in. They would tell you. Most warrants are put on the countrywide system as I understand it.

Answer By Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum

Go to criminal court. Go to clerk's office. Give them your name and date of birth. They will check to see if you have a warrant in the county. To check nationwide (not usually necessary if you check in the county where your case was) you need to use one of the online services.

Answer By Seth L. Reszko

If you know the name of the Court, it is possible you can look it up online. You might want to contact the Court to determine if there was a warrant issued if you cannot do it online. I would also recommend retaining an attorney to give you an opportunity to quash the warrant and give you your best chance in minimizing the consequences for failing to comply with the terms of the probation if you don't already have an attorney. This firm offers free consultations and affordable payment plans.

Answer By Craig Andersen

Call the court. They will tell you what the warrant is all about. Your biggest mistake is not staying in contact with the court. Judges prefer to hear from defendants and know what is going on rather than have to wonder.