Does my ex-boyfriend have any rights as a non biological father? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Does my ex-boyfriend have any rights as a non biological father?

My ex-boyfriend has been with me since the pregnancy and has raised, loved, and financially supported my son as his own. We recently broke up and my son's biological Father does not want my ex-boyfriend to be in his life anymore for purely selfish reasons. Does my ex-boyfriend have any parental rights?

Beresford Booth PLLC

You ex-boyfriend could argue he is a defacto parent and seek visitation via a non-parental custody action. Also, under the parenting plan, your time is your time. I would need more facts to adequately answer this question.

You need to talk this over with a family law and divorce attorney. You have some options here, and you need to know what your rights are.

Answer By Maury Beaulier

He may have a right to visitation as a third party based on the care he provided over the years.

Answer By Jay W. Neff
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni

Probably not. In general, biological parents take priority over all other parties, even other relatives, like grandparents. Since your boyfriend is not a biological relative of your son, he probably does not have any rights in your son. It may be possible for your boyfriend to have the court give him some rights to your son under a doctrine called de facto parent. However, this is likely to be a long and expensive court battle, with no guarantee of success.

It appears he may have a claim for custody and/or visitation as he has had a parent/child like relationship with the child. Here are materials you may find useful: http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Law/custody.htm

ROWE LAW FIRM

Your "ex-boyfriend" has no "rights" regarding your son, but the "biological father" may have very little say in whether or how you allow the ex-boyfriend to visit with the child. You may certainly allow the ex-boyfriend to seen your son as you wish, although as your relationship has curtailed that may diminish. The danger in allowing your children to be exposed to your relationships that are not fully committed (unmarried relationships) is that he will suffer pain along with you when those relationships end. The biological father will have more say in custody/visitation if you have several boyfriends and breakups to which you expose the child.

441 Legal Group, Inc.

Unfortunately in Florida he does not but your child's biological father unless he can show detriment to your child he wouldnt be able to stop you from allowing your ex from being a part of your child's life.

Answer By John Kirchner

No.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

No, he does not have any parental rights, but you as a mother do and if you elect to allow him to remain part of your son's life that is your choice as a mother, bio-father can hug a tree.

Horizons Law Group, LLC

Most likely not (through court system), but you do and you can help support his continued relationship with your ex-boyfriend when your son is with you.