Do I have to fill out a I-134 no matter how low the income is and can my father sponsor myself and my fiancee? - Immigration Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Do I have to fill out a I-134 no matter how low the income is and can my father sponsor myself and my fiancee?

I have question about the I-134 Affidavit of Support for the K1. The problem is that I don't have a lot of income and I need a co-sponsor. Right now, I already co-sponsor under my dad and I want my dad to co sponsor my fiance that is in China. Is my dad going to fill out one I-134 for my fiance or does he have to fill out two one for me and one for my fiance to the interview in Beijing China. Do I have to fill out one to sponsor my fiance? Because I saw some post on the internet said no matter how low the income is, I need to fill out a I-134 anyways.

Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC

Yes, the primary petitioner must fill out the affidavit of support.

Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC

Both of you will fill it out for your fiance.

Answer By Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White

Yes, however low your income is you will want to provide your affidavit of support in addition to the co-sponsor's, for both the I-134 and the I-864.

Answer By Jeff Joseph
Joseph Law Firm

The sponsor only completes the I-134 on behalf of the individual who is seeking the visa. So he is sponsoring only the fiance.

As a petitioner, you have to be the primary sponsor even if your income is insufficient. Your father can be the joint sponsor if his income qualifies but he cannot be the only sponsor. You still have to be the primary sponsor.

Answer By Alexander Segal

Assuming your father already filed an affidavit of support on your behalf prior to you obtaining permanent residence, he would not need to file another affidavit of support for you. You will have to file an I-134 for your fiance regardless of your income. Your father will also have to complete an I-134 on your fiance's behalf.