Do I have a case against a manufacturer if my airbags did not deploy? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Do I have a case against a manufacturer if my airbags did not deploy?

I was just in an auto accident, and my air bag failed to deploy. My vehicle was a 2001 Pick-Up Truck (I will leave out the exact manufacturer name). Do I have a case against the manufacturer?

Answer By Ryan Tomalas
Tomalas Law Firm

In order to properly evaluate this claim, far more information related to the facts of the accident, as well as the extent of the injuries you sustained, are necessary. (Keep in mind that, just because you may have a legal claim to make, unless the financial "value" of your claim is significant enough you may be hard pressed to find a personal injury lawyer to handle your case on a contingency fee basis.)

Answer By Jason Epstein
Premier Law Group

Maybe, maybe not. Airbags are not always supposed to deploy in every accident. It would require an engineer to do an analysis of the crash and the airbag cpu to determine if the bags should have deployed and didn't. Of course, the second part of the analysis would be that even if the airbags were supposed to deploy and didn't, what would your damages be? In other words, what injuries did you suffer specifically because the airbags didn't go off?

Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC

Airbags are not designed to deploy in all types of accidents or impacts. So, it would depend on the type of impact, the speed of your vehicle, etc. Also, even if they should have deployed, you would need to determine what injuries you sustained as a result of them failing to deploy and are those injuries worse than if they had deployed.

Answer By Patrick M Lamar
Patrick M Lamar Attorney

You could if you were injured. There are certain prohibitions on suits due to federal regulations. You should contact a firm that deals with products cases of this nature.

Answer By Adam J. Teller
Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle

Determining whether you have a case would require an expert to examine the vehicle, the airbags and the circumstances of the accident to determine whether the airbags were defective either in their manufacture,installation, maintenance, or design. Just because the airbags failed to deploy does not mean they were defective. You should make sure the vehicle and its parts are preserved, and contact an attorney as soon as possible to begin the investigation. You should also consider reporting the failure to deploy to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which will investigate defective airbag complaints.

Without provable damages arising from this incident, my answer would be, no, you do not.

Answer By Luke T. Pepper
LT Pepper Law

You do if we can show that the airbags failed to deploy when they should have and it was a defect of some sort.

Answer By Russell D. Gray
Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC

You might have a case for faulty airbags but more information is needed:

- make/model/year of vehicle
- speed of impact
- type of impact
- your physical injuries
- the reason the airbags did not deploy

If you were in an accident that was the fault of the other driver, and you suffered physical injury, you may have a claim against the other driver. You should call a qualified attorney for more help with this question.

Answer By Diana K. Zilko
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law

Were you injured? One of the elements you would need to prove is that you sustained damage as a result of the airbags failing to deploy. Also, where was the impact to your vehicle? Front air bags will only deploy when the contact point on the front of the vehicle is hit, and generally only at a speed of 25 mph or greater. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Answer By Patrick Curry

You will need an expert to inspect your car and determine your airbag situation. Very expensive.