Could I sue a malware company for invading my computer? - Defense Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Could I sue a malware company for invading my computer?

This company has invaded my computer and unless I purchase their anti-virus software, I can't use my computer! That's extortion in my books, there needs to be new laws for this new technology. I would like to file a class action suit so that others and I don't have to go through this. Maybe these vultures will do business legally. I just had my computer repaired and now it will cost me $100 to get the virus and malware off my computer.

Answer By George H. Shers

Yes, you can sue, but class action lawsuits are expensive and the company will probably disappear before you get very far in any lawsuit. Report them to the police and see if they can or will do anything.

Answer By Edwin K. Niles

Sue, but how do you prove who invaded?

You certainly can try. There has been quite a lot of news in the past year about this kind of wrongdoing, so I suspect it has come to court, and perhaps even reached the appellate process. Published appeals court opinions are the most important explanation of what written statutes mean. Good Luck.

Answer By Jim Hasser

Yes, you could and should if you can find them. Good luck with that, though. In the meantime, you may want to report the problem to the consumer protection division of the Alabama Attorney General's Office. Good luck.

Sure its extortion. Where are you going to sue them? Go to the police.

Answer By Richard M. Levy
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.

If you can find them you can sue them.