Can you sell a house that is in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can you sell a house that is in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Can you sell my house with a short sales that's in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Yes, you can short sale your home in a Chapter 7, but need to file a motion to abandon so the bankruptcy court can issue an order permitting the sale of the home.

Answer By Mengjun Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu

Creditors can't sale your house if you're in bankruptcy. You can't sell your house during your bankruptcy case unless the trustee specifically abandoned it and you intend to use the proceeds to purchase a new homestead. The trustee may or may not sell your house if you didn't claim it as homestead, depends on how much equity there is in the house.

Yes. Of the Trustee releases all interests in the property you can sell it at Short Sale during Chapter 7.

Answer By Janet Lawson

You can if the trustee has "abandoned" it. Check with the trustee before you do anything like that.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

Why would you want to a short sale? There is no benefit to you. I assume you are not trying to keep the house. Why not live there rent free until lender forecloses? Your question is not clear whether you have filed. If you have, your house is part of the bankruptcy estate which the trustee controls. You cannot dispose of property until you get your discharge of debts and the case is closed. I do not see any advantages to a short sale. In my humble opinion they are usually pushed by realtors, who don't know much about bankruptcy law, to get a commission. I am not saying there is no potential fact pattern where a short sale would benefit the debtor, I've just never seen one. Talk to the attorney who filed your bankruptcy.

Theodore N. Stapleton, PC

Yes if the chapter 7 trustee agrees to abandon the estate's interest in the house. I am happy to discuss these issues with you.

Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL

If the Trustee has abandoned the property during your Chapter 7 bankruptcy you have a right to sell it. It is typically wise to notify the trustee of the intention to short sale and ask if he or she has any objection to such sale.

Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson

You have to have the court and the trustee's permission. Most won't give it because it is redundant, you already discharge the debt, why would you want to go through with a short sale?

Answer By Ray Fisher
Ray Fisher Law Offices

A house is never "in a bankruptcy." You file bankruptcy. A house cannot. Yes you can sell a house while you are in bankruptcy.

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

As long as the trustee has no objection.