Can you keep your vehicle if you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can you keep your vehicle if you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Im heavily considering filing ch 7. My car payment is the one bill I have kept current and don't want to loose It because I need transportation. When filing ch 7 are you able to keep your vehicle?

Answer By Mark Alonso
Financial Relief Law Center

You are able to keep your vehicle but will likely have to list what your intention will be on the vehicle, ie: do you wish to redeem it, reaffirm it, etc.. You will also need to make sure that any equity in the vehicle is exempt, otherwise you could risk losing the asset. If you have concerns about how to protect the asset, you should contact a bankruptcy attorney.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Applies to Chapter 7 bankruptcy using Colorado exemptions: Most debtors get to keep their motor vehicles in a chapter 7 bankruptcy filed in Colorado. Just keep the loan current and as long as the equity in the vehicle doesn't exceed the Colorado exemption limits, you get to keep the vehicle.

Dearbonn Law Offices

You can file for bankruptcy and exempt the vehicle. If you exempt it, you will be able to keep it.

The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm

Generally yes. Most state exemptions cover at least a few thousand in car equity and most people who have car loans rarely have close to that.

Answer By Joseph W. Lehn
Lehn Law, PA

Under the right circumstances a person who files a chapter 7 bankruptcy is able to keep their vehicle. I would advise that you contact an attorney to discuss whether or not you qualify to keep your vehicle without owing the bankruptcy court any money or to determine your other vehicle options. .

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger

You can keep your car when you file Chapter 7 so long as (a) you can continue to make the payments on the car loan, if any and (b) you have enough left in your exemptions to cover the equity in your car. To apply these principals to the facts of your case, call me for a free consultation.

Answer By Everett Walton
Everett Walton, Attorney at Law

You can keep your vehicle by entering into a reaffirmation agreement and making your payments.

Answer Applies to: Hawaii

Answer By Janet Lawson

Yes, you keep it so long as you pay for it and reaffirm the debt on the vehicle. I am assuming you don't have a huge amount if equity in it.

Answer By Harry L Styron
Law Office of Harry L Styron

It depends on what else you have. If you don't have a house, then you can elect the standard bankruptcy exemptions and protect up to $18,675 of equity in property, including your vehicle. If you own a house then you can elect the California Homestead provision and protect up to $75,000 (if you're single) of equity in the house and, if the equity in your vehicle is less than $2,300 you can keep it. You can figure out the equity by looking up the value on kbb.com. If the equity is substantially more than that then the bankruptcy trustee will sell it, give you the $2,300 and pay the rest to your creditors.