Can my husband win custody of my children over me? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can my husband win custody of my children over me?

I'm not 100% sure I'm leaving my husband yet but I'm thinking about it. I am extremely unhappy and it's not good environment for my son. I have one son (age 2) and a daughter on the way due Dec. 12th 2011. I'm currently a stay at home mom and have no income or family to help me out. I'm scared to leave my husband because he says he will take my kids away from me and he would win custody. I have been the main caregiver in my son’s life and he has an attachment to me. Even when I work in a day care, he went to work with me. My husband work nights and go to bed between 12:00 and 1:00 p.m. and work from 10:00pm to 7:30 a.m. He is also an alcoholic. I don't want to take our kids away from him completely but I don't think he's fit to have primary custody of them. Would I be able to get custody, when I don't have a job, income, or a place to live at the moment?

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

Can your husband win custody? Yes, it is possible. The more important question is: Will he? No one knows at this point. In Texas, the golden rule of child custody is do what is best for the children. There are many enumerated items for the court to consider and you touch on some of those here. The ultimate decision is up to the Judge based on evidence, not "feelings" or "opinions" or "intuition". What can you show/prove. You say he is an alcoholic, can you prove that? What will he say about you? Can he prove it? Keep in mind, Judges have seen and heard it all, allegations are just that, allegations until someone brings some proof to the table. All of that said, there is a common theme in your question and many others - a husband says he will win, or he says he will take the children, or he says . He can say anything, that does not mean it is going to happen. You are both parents and both of you have equal rights until a judge says otherwise. What you need to do is stop worrying about what he says he will do, make up your mind what you are going to do.

Answer By Armand Fried

The court will look at all aspects - his alcohol use, his hours at work, your living conditions, EVERYTHING, and decide what would be in the best interests of the child. If you win, he will have to pay child support and you could get some relief from that.

Answer By Paul A. Eads
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.

Answer By Tina Fox
Fox Law Firm LLC

It is possible, but you do need to establish a place for them to live. You have to be able to provide the bare necessities to the children and prove how you are able to do so.

AyerHoffman, LLP

It's difficult to predict what the outcome of your situation will be, but it can be said that courts take many factors into consideration when determining physical and legal custody of your children, and ultimately, the court will determine what is in the "best interest" of your children. The fact that you've been the primary caregiver and that your husband is an alcoholic will be factors that are taken into consideration. The fact that you are unemployed is not a deterrence to you gaining custody, as the court will order your husband to pay child support in order to ensure that the children are taken care of.

No one can give you odds but your odds shrink without a lawyer and improve with counsel.

Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.

Yes, you could still get custody. I would speak with a divorce attorney before you make an official move to leave your marriage. It will make the transition considerably easier.

Answer By Arlene D. Kock

If you are the day to day caregiver to the child and will be in that role with your child on the way then there is a high probability the children will be placed with you. Please consider filing a divorce petition and a motion for custody as well as orders restricting fathers contact with the child(ren) if he is abusing alcohol.

Answer By Glenn E. Tanner

Based on the few facts you've provided, it looks like you would be the primary caretaker regardless of your limited income.

Answer By Jay W. Neff
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni

Considering what little bit you've said, you would probably be the primary residential parent. However, like everything else in this business, there are simply no guarantees of anything. Further, the statute has a rather long list of factors to consider, that you haven't really addresses. Be that as it may, you really should see about getting someplace to live and a job. Those issues could impact the parenting plan.