Can my husband just take everything I own? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers-

Free Answers to your Legal Questions by Lawyers.
ask »

Can my husband just take everything I own?

My husband abandoned me took everything with any value, now he is trying to take my house and land (I am here). Most everything is in my name and he is signing my name to a lot of credit cards, titles, closing business account that I opened up, and coming to the house when I'm not here and slowly taking everything. He has a lot of crooked police friends and even a judge. What can I do?

Answer By Roy L. Reeves
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Contact this Attorney Now

File for divorce and get temporary orders in place, then start a long process of tracing your assets.

Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/30/2011

Answer By Maury Beaulier
Beaulier Law Office
Contact this Attorney Now

You should hire legal counsel. In a divorce, all assets are presumed marital until determined otherwise. That means you have strong arguments to be awarded one half of the value of all assets in your case.

Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 8/29/2011

Answer By Jay W. Neff
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Contact this Attorney Now

You are going to have to file a divorce action to give the court a basis to sort out the property. The statute says that the court is to make a fair and equitable division of all of the property. There are a number of factors that the court is supposed to consider in reaching that division. If the court is going to divide the property, it first has to classify it. All of the property is going to be classified as your separate property, your spouse's separate property, or community property. Which of these classifications a particular piece of property falls into will depend on how and when the property was obtained. In most cases, property obtained during the marriage will be community property. Once the property is classified, how it gets divided will depend on a number of factors. Some of the factors that the court may consider are the duration of the marriage, the ages of the parties, the health of the parties, the educational background of the parties, the employment history of the parties, and each party's future prospects. The court then has to come up with what the court believes is a fair and equitable division of all of the property using these and other factors. Now, if there is enough community property so that the court can come up with a fair division using just the community property, the court will generally do that. However, if there is not enough community property for the court to reach what it believes is a fair division, then, it can invade separate property.

Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/26/2011

Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Contact this Attorney Now

You must report the stolen items to the police. If you file for divorce you can request exclusive possession. Also change the locks.

Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/26/2011

The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
Contact this Attorney Now

You need a smart and tough attorney to put a stop to his actions, and get back what he stole. I can help you with this. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.

Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 8/26/2011

Answer By Steven Dunnings
Dunnings Law Firm
Contact this Attorney Now

If you have not filed for divorce you should and try to get an injunction against him. If he is forging your signature, you need to file a complain with the police.

Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/26/2011

Horizons Law Group, LLC
Contact this Attorney Now

Get a restraining order, then also file for divorce. You need to put a stop immediately to all of this through the restraining order. Also sounds like some fraud with the credit cards and such - perhaps get police involved. But the restraining order is immediate.

Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/26/2011

Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Contact this Attorney Now

File for Divorce and start taking action. As long as you are married, the property he is removing is marital property and he has as much right to it as you do. I suggest you consult an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.

Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/26/2011

Ashman Law Office
Contact this Attorney Now

First of all, if you call judges crooked, you will find yourself to be unable to find a lawyer. Second, if he is committing forgeries, you should be making reports with the FBI and local police and swearing out warrants. He would be in jail rather than in your home. Third, why have you not hired a lawyer and gotten a restraining order? When you sit on your hands and refuse to hire a lawyer, you will do very badly in the case.

Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/25/2011

Contact this Attorney Now

File for divorce immediately so that the automatic restraining orders that take effect upon service of summon will come into force. If you stay married, he will ruin you financially. Run a credit report to find out what accounts are out there and close all accounts in your name.

Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2011

© 2017 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | IB Cookie Policy