Can my green card be canceled by my sponsor? - Immigration Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can my green card be canceled by my sponsor?

My stepmom hit me and was angry, so I ran away from home. I'm 20 years old. Now she threatened to have my green card canceled. I got my green card from my stepdad who was a citizen. He signed the affidavit of support and I got my green card a year ago. Can he really cancel my green card? What is your recommendation for my case? Thank you.

Answer By Floyd Fernandez

No, she cannot. Period. She is a liar. Make it on your own. Find friends, find other family. The green card is yours permanently. Lose these people, you don't owe them ruining your life. They signed the petition, your stepdad's stuck. End of story.

Answer By Lynne Feldman

The green card belongs to you; but I would suggest you consult with an immigration attorney so you will know the next steps especially if you have a 2-year card.

Answer By Patrick Jarrett
The Jarrett Firm, LLC

Is it your stepdad or your stepmom trying to cancel? Either way, he or she cannot have your green card canceled. You are a lawful permanent resident. After you have held your permanent resident status for five years, you can apply for citizenship.

Answer By Aime Katambwe

No she cannot, she does not have that kind of power. The green card is yours to keep and do with as you please within the bounds of the law. When you turn 21 and have at least 5 years of being a LPR, go and file for citizenship and never worry about this kind of abuse ever again. Be well and good luck!

Answer By Reza Athari

Once you have a green card, no one except for DHS may deport you. If your card was for 2 years, you will need to file a petition to remove the condition 3 months before it expires. Please contact an immigration attorney before you make any application.

Answer By Nicklaus Misiti
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.

No need to worry, they cannot cancel your green card under any circumstances. Next time they hit you call the police.

Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A.

The only ways you can terminate your legal permanent resident status (greencard) is (1) by voluntarily relinquishing your own status; (2) Immigration Judge terminating your status. ** NOTE: This is a general answer to your question. You should consult with an attorney for accurate and reliable legal advice. Good luck!

Answer By William D. Fong

No, they cannot "cancel" your permanent resident card (green card).

Answer By Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang

She can report to CIS and put you in difficult situation if there is fraud involved in obtaining your green card, or if you have some kind criminal case that render you deportable.

Answer By Christine Troy

Your mother cannot cancel your green card so she is out of luck. As long as your underlying application did not involve fraud or misrepresentation, then you are fine. That green card is yours. So as long as they are in a real marriage and were married before you turned 18, your stepdad was able to sponsor you and based on the facts you present, you should be fine. Make sure you apply to renew it within the three months prior to the expiration date listed on the card, ok? BTW, your stepdad can't take it away either. Also the affidavit of support cannot be withdrawn.