Can my creditors still demand money if my bankruptcy is dismissed? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can my creditors still demand money if my bankruptcy is dismissed?

If my bankruptcy is dismissed, voluntarily or by the court, can the creditors that were included in the bankruptcy demand the full amount of the remaining original debt? Can I utilize consumer credit counseling service (the non-profit one)?

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Yes, if your bankruptcy was dismissed, then creditors can collect the debt because you never received a discharge of your debts.

Answer By Janet Lawson

Yes, they can demand full payment. I have had many clients come in with judgements against them after being in a debt consolidation plan, be wary,

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

When your case is dismissed, it is as though it was never filed, so you creditors can seek full recovery from you (less that which they received from the bankruptcy).

Answer By David Goldman
Apple Law Firm PLLC

If you did not complete your bankruptcy they can begin collections again

Answer By Samuel Tucker
Tucker Legal Clinic

Yes, your creditors will be in the same position they were prior to filing. The goal is to get a discharge. Filing the bankruptcy petition just stops collection efforts while the case is pending before the discharge. Yes, you may avail yourself of credit counseling/debt resolution services.

Once a bankruptcy is dismissed creditors can pursue collection. This would be an opportunity to use a consumer credit counseling program such as Money Management International (MMI).

The bankruptcy case did not change anything. You still owe the money as you did before your filed the dismissed bankruptcy case. Yes, you can consolidate and pay your debts if that is what you want to do.

Stuart Jon Bierman  Attorney at Law

Yes, the creditors can demand payment in full if your bankruptcy is dismissed. You should use an attorney to maximize your chances of filing a successful petition.