Can a landlord disconnect a tenant’s electric? - Landlord and Tenants Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can a landlord disconnect a tenant’s electric?

My Landlord pays the electric, and the Lease agreement requires that the Tenant reimburses the Landlord for the electric. If the Tenant fails to reimburse the Landlord can the Landlord turn off the electric?

Stuart P Gelberg

What does the lease say? The landlord usually can not turn off utilities without legal process first

Casler Law Offices PLLC

No. The landlord has elected to keep the utilities in the landlord's name during tenancy. Arizona law expressly prohibits the landlord from turning off the utilities: "A landlord shall not terminate utility services ... which are provided to the tenant as part of the rental agreement." (See A.R.S. Section 33-1364.C). The tenant may recover damages equal to two month's rent if the landlord intentionally turns off utilities. (See A.R.S. Section 33-1367).

No. The LL should sue for eviction and the electrical bills due.

Answer By Frances Headley

No, a Landlord can not shut off the utilities to a tenancy. All that can be done is use it as the basis for an eviction.

Technically, no, but he can start eviction proceedings for nonpayment of rent.

Batten & Beasley

No, only the electric company can do that. There are some pretty stiff penalties if your landlord tries to do it by themselves.

Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.

Not in Washington. This is prohibited under the landlord tenant act. If a tenant is not paying the landlord supplied utilities as required under the agreement, the landlord can issue a 10-day notice to comply or vacate. If the tenant does not pay the utility bill or vacate, an eviction action may be started that could result in a court order for the tenant's removal. Otherwise, the landlord cannot just shut the power off.

Answer By John F Brennan

I would certainly think so as the tenant has no right to what is not paid for.