Can I work part time with an H1b status? - Immigration Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I work part time with an H1b status?

I would like to know if I qualify for an EAD. I am on an H1b after entering the country on a J1 and getting the waiver. I am also approved for a green card via my mother and am awaiting a visa number. I have a priority date of 2004, which seems to be regressing on the visa bulletin. My current job was filled luckily as a pt h1b so though my hours are not 40 wkly I remain in status. I have heard that I could get and EAD with my H1b and use it to work pt for another employer. I would like to know if this is true and if it would affect my wait for a visa number and ultimately my green card

Answer By Harun Kazmi
Kazmi & Sakata

You will not qualify for an independent EAD until you can file the Adjustment of Status. However, you can file a new H1b part-time for another qualifying job.

Answer By Reza Athari

This is not true. But your prospective employer may file a new H-1B petition for you to work part time.

Answer By William D. Fong

You cannot get an open-ended EAD as an H-1B. All H-1B's are "employer-specific". If you find other H work, the company can file a concurrent part-time H for you.

Answer By Winston W. Lee
Yoo & Lee, LLP

You need to file another H-1B, but there are other potential issues in your case.

Answer By Larry F Chin
Julian & Chin LLP

In order to work for another employer with an H-1B you must have a separate approved petition. Your current H-1B allows employment incident to status, this means that you will not be issued a separate EAD that you can use to work anywhere else.

Answer By Hans Burgos
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices

You are authorized for employment with your specific employer incident to your H-1B status. The USCIS will not issue you an employment authorization card. Your are not allowed to work for another employer.

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law

You can work part time while being in H-1B status but NOT on an EAD. Your second employer must offer you a job the qualifies for H-1B status and file a visa petition for you. You can have multiple H-1B employers but do not qualify for an EAD unless you filed for adjustment of status which does not seems to be the case.

You are under H-1b status until your immigrant petition is approved. Therefore you can only work as per the lca filed for your H-1b.