Can I sue if I worked under the table for a friend and was hurt in an accident? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I sue if I worked under the table for a friend and was hurt in an accident?

I was in an accident which happened in a grave quarry. I was the passenger in an old '57 Studabaker dump truck. We lost the brakes in the truck approx. 100 yard down a steep hill exiting the pit. We could not down shift the truck and it began to run away. There was no runaway ramp or spot to ditch the truck and our only choice was to jump from the truck, which I did, hitting the road at approximately 35 mph. I received multiple abrasions to my legs, arms and back and have now a bad left knee which has been found to be a partial tear of a ligament and I can not work for the near future, per orthopedic doctor. The driver, a friend and coworker was killed as he jumped,(I believe), and was run over by the back tires of the truck. I was working under the table for my friend at this time. He has insurance on the truck and they are paying my medical bills. I would like to know if I have a case for a settlement or a lawsuit.

Answer By Paul A. Samakow
The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C.

The fact that you were "working under the table" has nothing to do with anything here. Consult an attorney.

Answer By James M. Osak
James M. Osak, P.C.

You can sue . . . but you'll have to PROVE your damages and that friend caused your injuries. The "income" may come into play later with the IRS.

The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield

You have a claim against his liability insurance. It is not clear from your question whether they are paying your medical bills under liability or under medical payments coverage.

Answer By Steve Lombardi
Lombardi Law Firm

Answer: If you were "working under the table" that means you were cheating on your taxes and lying to the government. Do you want to admit to doing that and possibility going to prison?

Answer Applies to: Iowa

Answer By Gary Platt

Absolutely you have a case, which is why the insurance company insuring the truck has been paying your bills. You need to consult a lawyer immediately to handle this claim for you so you can obtain all the compensation to which you are entitled. Do not try to settle the case by yourself.

Answer By Gregory Crain

The question is: Who do you think is responsible?

Answer Applies to: Arkansas

Answer By Dean T Jennings
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.

This is why lying is never a good idea. You have a claim as a passenger, your claim would be possibly as a worker also, but you may have to file suit to get your whole claim paid.

Answer Applies to: Iowa

Answer By Gregory Casale
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law

It certainly sounds like a good suit to me. Your friend's estate probably has an even better case which they should pursue as well as you.

Answer By B. L. Conway
Conway Law Pllc.