Can I sue a hospital if I fell while visiting a patient? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I sue a hospital if I fell while visiting a patient?

While visiting a patient at the hospital, I fell and hurt my leg and hip. The house keeper was cleaning in the room and I got up to get something for the patient, because he was at fall risk and couldn't get out of the bed. They sent me to the ER for x rays, but said I was responsible for the bill. Do I have the right to sue and would it be worth my time to sue?

Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.

Yes, you can sue, but need to prove the hospital did something wrong.

Answer Applies to: Delaware

Answer By Jeffrey Unger
The Unger Law Firm

The decision to pursue a case generally depends on the level of injury received. Obviously, the greater the injury, the more compensation you would then be entitled to receive. If the only medical care you received was an x-ray, then it is unlikely that the case is substantial enough to pursue, however, each case stands on its own and I would recommend that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss the specifics of your fall and subsequent medical treatment.

Answer By Lacy Fields
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC

It might be, it would depend on the extent of your injuries and what you fell on. For "slip and fall" cases, you must allege that there was a "defect" on the floor. This could be a raised tile, spilled water, etc. Do you remember what you fell on? We offer free consultations if you would like more info.

Answer By Francis Hajek
Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm

You always have a right to sue where a personal injury is involved and someone else may be responsible. But, as you write, the real question is whether it is worth your time and effort to make a claim. My initial reaction based on the facts you present is that is not a worthwhile endeavor. It does not appear that your injuries were significant such as a broken bone. And, there is a liability issue because you were aware that the cleaner was in the room. Virginia law still follows the rule that contributory negligence bars a claim. This doctrine would be an issue in your case. Of course, you can always consult a personal injury lawyer to confirm the situation and I would advise this if your injuries are more severe than I am assuming.

Answer By Bernard Huff
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator

Retain and/or consult with a plaintiff's accident or personal injury lawyer for legal advice and representation. Once retained, thatattorney should advise you on whether the negligence of the hospital's employee was the proximate cause of your fall and your resulting injury,the hospital's liability, if any, and its insurance coverage..

Answer By Luke T. Pepper
LT Pepper Law

You can sue if you can show there was a defect. If you slipped on something causing the injury and it was the fault of the staff, there is a case to look at.

Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC

If the hospital created a hazard, or a hazard existed that they knew about, then, yes, the hospital could be responsible. Whether it's worth it depends on the severity of your injuries. If you did not break bones, nor had an injury that requires surgery, it probably does not warrant your time and energy to pursue. I wish you a speedy recovery regardless.

Answer By Jared Altman

If you didn't break any bones or tear cartilage and need surgery then I would say it's not worth suing.

Answer By Robert Kelly
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.

In general, "slip and fall" lawsuits require showing that the owners or possessors of the premises were negligent in allowing unreasonably hazardous conditions to exist or persist on their premises. If the owners or operators of the premises breached their duty of ordinary care, causing your damages, then you might want to speak with an attorney about a claim or cause of action.

Answer By Thomas Bulman
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm

What caused you to fall? Do you think you have a permanent injury?

Answer Applies to: Montana