Can I sue a dentist for malpractice? - Personal Injury Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I sue a dentist for malpractice?

I have seen a dentist a few years ago and he charged my insurance for things that he did not do and had people work on my teeth were not qualified. Now, I have to get top and bottom dentures at 33 years old and in pain all the time and couldn't go places before I got teeth because I would have anxiety attacks.

Answer By Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West

It sounds like your statute of limitations may have passed. You only have a year from the date the patient knew or reasonably suspected that the defendant doctor improperly or negligently treated or advised the patient to bring suit. Although the statute also provides a 3 year statute from manifestation of the injury, generally speaking the case will hinge on when you discovered the dentist's actions caused you harm, or you suspected it.

The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC

You probably have no claim for a dental malpractice. First of all a dental malpractice must be commenced within 3 years of occurrence and you must show that because doctor performed an act that was contrary to common dental procedure that said act caused you harm.

Consult with a lawyer who specializes in dental cases. Do it NOW.

Dentists, like other professionals, are liable for their own negligence, so you can sue a dentist for malpractice.

To successfully sue for malpractice, you need three things: 1. Evidence that the doctor/nurse deviated from acceptable standards of due care, either by act or omission. This is also referred to as negligence. A bad outcome, in of itself, is not evidence of negligence. You need a doctor to testify that the doctor/nurse was negligent. 2. Evidence that the negligence cause some harm. 3. Significant damages. If the negligence caused minor damages, it would not be economically feasible to bring a ,malpractice case, because the cost in expert witness fees would exceed your damages.

Answer By Thomas Feher
The Simon Law Group

Yes. You are permitted to sue a dentist for malpractice if the treatment you received by him or her was below the accepted standard of care.

Statute of limitations is 3 years. Why would you wait several years to make inquiry. If less than 3 and if you have a written opinion of another dentist that this is a case and that he will testify for you then you can move forward.

There are many questions to be answered to determine if you have a claim. Further, because of the passage of years, there maybe a time problem with the statute of limitations. Charging for work not performed would be insurance fraud and that should be taken up with your insurance company as they will review the dental treatment records to determine if things were or were not performed. The issue is whether you were properly treated or not and that cannot be determined without a review of your treatment records what has occurred to you since that treatment.

Answer By Howard Mishkind
Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A.

If the dentist was negligent you can sue him for your injuries. You should contact an attorney that handles medical malpractice claims as the statute of limitations in Ohio is 1 year from the termination of your relationship or discovery of injury whichever date is later.

The short answer is "Yes." You can always sue a physician for malpractice. The longer answer is that a malpractice case is very difficult to prove and, usually, requires severe damages in order to justify the time and expense involved in pursuing such a claim. Malpractice claims also, usually, have short statutes of limitation - the time period within which a lawsuit must be brought.