Can I sue an emergency room doctor for a miscarriage? - Injury Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I sue an emergency room doctor for a miscarriage?

I recently miscarried. When I went to the E.R for it, the Doctor told me I was never pregnant even though I was. Do I have a lawsuit?

Answer By Eddie W. Wilson
Wilson & Hajek, LLC

On those facts alone, no. No damages.

Answer By Luke T. Pepper
LT Pepper Law

If you can show you were pregnant and that the doctor caused the miscarriage you can sue the doctor and hospital. Whether you will be successful will be based on what you were being treated for and whether you suffered a miscarriage to the negligence of the doctor.

You would have to obtain the opinion of another medical professional that malpractice occurred.

Answer By Patrick Curry

You need a medical malpractice attorney to assist you.

You need a medical expert in the appropriate field to answer your question: "was there a breach of the standard of care? And if yes, did that cause your damage?" I am sorry about your loss. Stay well.

Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.

I am sorry about your loss. I heard a lot of smart people say that having a miscarriage is one of the most emotionally difficult things that a woman can experience. In order to assert a medical malpractice claim, it is necessary to establish that a doctor's negligence caused an injury. In the context of your situation, you would need to establish that the doctor's error caused or contributed to your miscarriage. If you have reason to believe that it did, you should consult an attorney in your area to discuss the details and determine whether there is sufficient evidence to proceed with a claim. Be aware that all states have time limits for filing lawsuits, so be sure to consult an attorney as soon as possible. Good luck.

Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law

Based on your question, he did not cause the miscarriage, so I doubt you have a lawsuit.

Answer By Mark Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo

If you went to the ER because you were miscarrying, there is no causation by the ER doctor to have caused your miscarriage, even if he misdiagnosed it. But the only way to tell for sure is to have an expert review the medical records to ascertain what happened medically. A medical malpractice attorney can have a nurse or physician review the medical records to provide an opinion.

If the doctor's actions, or failure to to diagnose a problem, caused you to have a miscarriage, you may have a suit.

Answer By Edmond El Dabe
El Dabe Law Firm

You may have a lawsuit for failure to diagnose and/or medical malpractice. Consult with a medical malpractice lawyer.