Can I stop my divorce? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I stop my divorce?

My husband and I are going through a divorce. We have filed our judgment packet and there is a child support order in place. I want to know what I can do to stop the divorce and terminate the child support order. We have decided to work things out and stay together.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

File a Notice Non-suit. A party has an absolute right to quit any legal proceeding as long as that party has not "rested" its case-in-chief. Trust me, you would know if you had rested your case-in-chief and your question itself tells me you have not. What you need to do is this: on a sheet of paper, type or write the caption just as it appears on the papers you have filed. The title of the document is NON-SUIT (you put that under the title/caption).

Answer By Maury Beaulier

A divorce can be suspended for up to one year while parties try to work out their differences. That usually makes more sense then dismissingthe matter since refiling would require paying a new filing fee. A Stipulation and Order must be filed to that effect. There are generally forms available through the Court Administrator's Office.

Harris Law Firm

To get a petition for dissolution dismissed, the moving party (the Petitioner) needs to file a dismissal and it would help to have the Respondent stipulate or sign off on that dismissal. If the judgment is already signed by the court, you can stipulate to, and file a motion to vacate the judgment, which means, overturn it.

If you have already filed the Judgment packet, you and your husband should quickly prepare, sign, and file a Request for Dismissal of the case, without prejudice, if the two of you have decided not to get a divorce. You should check the Court's website and/or the case file in Court - if the Court has already filed and entered the Judgment, it would be too late to dismiss the case, and you and he would need to remarry if the two of you wanted to be married.

Answer By John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz

Yes, you and your husband may both sign and file a Request for Dismissal. This will dismiss the divorce action.

Answer By Keri Burnstein
Keri Burnstein, P.C.

You must file an order of dismissal following a motion to dismiss. Contact a family law attorney for more information. If you cannot afford an attorney, then I would recommend you contact the judge's clerk and inform him/her that you would like to dismiss the case. Good Luck.

One of two ways: Either remarry or file a joint motion to dismiss the divorce if the court has not entered a judgment of divorce. Congratulations on working it out! Stay well.

Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr.

In Rhode Island I know that if the parties reconcile before the final decree is entered the divorce action may be terminated.

Working out an agreement and stopping the divorce proceedings is pretty simple. You should be able to use one attorney to assist you, and then he will have the option (if he really wants to spend the money) to have a lawyer look over the agreement for him. You will need to take the right steps to notify the Court of your decisions. I am so glad to hear that someone out there has worked out their problems and can stay together. That is terrific! Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.

Answer By Paul Lancia
Attorney Paul Lancia

File a Notice of Dismaissal. If you need assistance, I could draft it and file it for you. Call me if you have any questions.