Can I still file the workers comp claim or is it too late? - Injury Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I still file the workers comp claim or is it too late?

I have a massive full thickness tear in my shoulder. I have been out of work for 3 months. My FMLA has run out and my company who I have been with for 6 years has let me go. I never filed a worker’s comp claim but my injury was a direct result of my job. Can I still file the workers comp claim or is it too late? I am currently getting short-term disability.

Answer By ARMAN MOHEBAN

Yes you still can. You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.

If your injury happened 3 months ago, it is definitely NOT too late to file your claim, but you should do so ASAP.

Answer Applies to: Delaware

Answer By Robert C. Slim
Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law

You can file a claim if you can prove that the injury occurred while in the course and scope of your employment. But your question fails to describe how you were injured, so it is difficult to give you any further advice.

How long has it been since your were injured on the job? Did you report the injury to your employer? Your employer never filed a claim with workman's comp? Who paid your medical bill?

Answer By David Hoines
David Hoines Law

you need to consult a workers compensation attorney NOW, it may not be too late.

Answer By Edwin K. Niles

Yes; see a workers comp lawyer ASAP.

Answer By Steve Lombardi
Lombardi Law Firm

That all depends on whether or not you reported the injury to the employer (normally your supervisor) within 90 days of it occurring. Did you? Immediately contact the employer asking for medical treatment for the shoulder injury. I would suggest doing it in writing.

Answer Applies to: Iowa

Yes you can file a workers compensation case. Get a lawyer. Check out the possibility of suing also for wrongful discharge.

Answer By Andrew Velonis

You ask us if it's too late, but you don't tell us when it was that you were injured. In NY you have 2 years.

Answer By Erven Nelson

It depends on the laws in your state, but I think that you should call a workers compensation lawyer ASAP. Let me know if you need any help finding a good lawyer.