Can I represent myself in court for my first offense DUI? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I represent myself in court for my first offense DUI?

Is an attorney needed for first DUI?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

I'd recommend you privately consult with an attorney if you need specific legal advice. Any charged with a criminal offense has a right to counsel. If you cannot to retain a lawyer, the court may, depending upon eligibility criteria, appoint you one at the public's expense. I would recommend you retain a lawyer or ask the court for a court-appointed attorney if you cannot to retain a lawyer. Convictions for these types of offenses carry consequences that will last much longer than just the possible court-sanctions. Even if it's a first offense, this charge is a misdemeanor, which, if convicted, is punishable by up to 93 days in jail, probation up to two years, license sanctions, fines, costs, or other sanctions at the discretion of the court.

Answer By Craig Elhart

You have the right to represent yourself. However, it is never a good idea. Many attorneys offer free consultations. Seek help from an attorney before making that decision.

You can represent yourself. You can take out your own appendix with a Swiss Army Knife also. Both are equally painless and foolproof.

Answer By Shawn Kollie
The Short Law Group, P.C.

Although anyone has a Constitutional right to represent themselves in any court proceeding, the stakes are very high with an Oregon DUI charge. A DUI is a Class A Misdemeanor with a maximum of 1 year in custody and a $6,250 fine. Most DUI Lawyers will provide a free consultation to sit down and see what their representation could do to help you in these stressful times.

Yes you can represent yourself if your wish.

The need for an attorney depends on your training and experience. We normally have much more information than a non-lawyer.

Answer By Jason M. Glass
Glass Defense Firm

You certainly have the right to, but I would advise against it. Remember, the man who represents himself has a fool for a client.

Answer Applies to: West Virginia

Answer By Phil Hache

Yes, but I would highly recommend that you hire a bDUI defense attorney in your area that is familiar with DUI defense. Knowledge of court procedure and forensic toxicology are necessary to properly defend against most DUI cases. By trying to represent yourself, you could miss good defenses (and how to present and argue them). I could go on and on and on about why representing yourself is a bad idea. Do yourself a favor and at least set up an initial consultation with a DUI attorney or two.

Answer By Mark Thiessen
Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law

You can, but you'd have a fool for a client. DWIs are very serious and can come with jail time.

Law Office of Michael E. Dailey

Of course you can represent yourself in court. You can also remove your own appendix with a penknife to save the Dr. bill. Since you even ask the question it is obvious you have no clue what is going on in the court system and you will lose, plain and simple. Do yourself a real favor and get a lawyer for this case. It is not the same thing as a speeding ticket and you may well wind up in jail.