Can I reopen my bankruptcy if it was discharged 6 months ago? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I reopen my bankruptcy if it was discharged 6 months ago?

I bought a car later. Can I add it to my bankruptcy if I cannot make the payments?

Answer By Cate Eranthe
Eranthe Law Firm

No. You can't add a car that was purchased after the date of filing.

Your BK will handle anything (i.e., any debt) up to and including the date of filing. Any debt incurred AFTER the date of filing can not be put into the BK.

Answer By Ryan Beach
The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC

You may be able to file a motion to reopen your bankruptcy; however, you can add debt that was incurred after the filing date of your bankruptcy petition. A bankruptcy can only discharge pre-petition debt. The only exception may be in the event of conversion. If a case is converted from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7, debt incurred after the filing of the Chapter 13 and before conversion may be added; however, the ability to do this may vary by jurisdiction.

Grasso Law Group

Debt that is incurred after the filing date of your bankruptcy (e.g. buying a car on credit) cannot be included in that bankruptcy. If you received a discharged recently as you stated, then you should consider trying to work out something with car company because you will not be able to get another bankruptcy discharge for some time. The timeframes are dependent on the type of bankruptcy you filed.

You can reopen your bankruptcy but not to include a car that you purchased after you filed. You can only include debts that existed as of the time you filed.

Generally you cannot seek to discharge a debt that you incurred after the moment you filed your bankruptcy petition. If you incurred the debt before filing, you can reopen the case to add a creditor you may have omitted inadvertently, but that seems like a different story. Good Luck.

Answer By Dorothy G Bunce

Seriously, do you think that bankruptcy is a lifetime license to run up debt and not pay for it? To the contrary, you will be ineligible to eliminate this debt through bankruptcy for the next 8 years.

Answer By Darren Aronow

If you bought the car after you filed bankruptcy then no you can not reopen it. If you bought the car before you filed bankruptcy, then unless you signed a reaffirmation agreement, you are not liable for it anymore.

Answer By Ronald K. Nims

No. Any debt you got after the filing date can't be included in your bankruptcy.

As there are no restrictions on filing you could file a Ch 13 bankruptcy and arrange to pay for the car through the plan probably forcing an interest rate of 6%. You would not be eligible for a discharge since you received a discharge on the Ch 7 within 4 years of filing the Ch 13 but it would buy you time and in another 3 and 1/2 years you could terminate this Ch 13 and file a new Ch 13 in which you would be eligible to receive a discharge.