Can I rent an apartment if I file for bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I rent an apartment if I file for bankruptcy?

I couldn't afford my mortgage and I don't have anywhere to go. Is it possible for me to rent an apartment if I file for bankruptcy?

If the landlord pulls your credit, he will see the Bankruptcy filing and take it into consideration.

Answer By Paul Stuber
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law

Yes, you can rent an apartment. The landlord has the right to not rent to you. Most likely if you can get together the deposit and the rents requested you will be able to get into a lease.

Answer By Eric Lewis

Yes, landlords are mostly interest in present income and past rental history than they are with bankruptcy.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Yes, you can rent an apartment after you file bankruptcy. Keep in mind though that some landlords do not rent to people who just filed bankruptcy, but most do as they know you cannot file bankruptcy for another four years, and thus, you are a good credit risk.

Answer By Eric Benzer
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law

Ross Smith, Attorney at Law

Sure. You can rent an apartment after bankruptcy. You may have to give a 3 to 6 month deposit in order to convince the landlord you are solvent. Make the offer, if needed to sweeten the deal. Flash some cash, if it seems appropriate. Many landlords do not check credit. Some even charge for a credit check and don't run the credit. Why not rent an apartment just before you file bankruptcy?

Answer By Jason W. Barger
The Barger Law Firm

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your situation. As you are aware of, however, there are options available to you. To answer your question, yes, you can rent an apartment before, during or after bankruptcy. If you haven't filed yet, it is better to secure a rental contract first. A potential landlord may be unwilling to rent to you after you have filed bankruptcy. I would be happy to meet with you for a free consultation and explain your options to you, if you are so inclined. I look forward to hearing from you and, if not, wish you the best in the resolution of your financial issues.

A prospective landlord can discriminate against a potential tenant on account of bankruptcy. This means that you might have an application to rent turned down in a given instance. You may need to apply for several rentals before eventually being approved as a renter.

Answer By Tony Yuthas
G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc.

Bankruptcy planning may be important in your situation. I would be careful about the timing of any bankruptcy to be filed. Rental is normally based on the policy of the landlord. You need to discuss your entire case with a bankruptcy attorney prior to making any decisions.

Answer By Janet Lawson

yes... some will turn you down but I have never had anyone come back and say they could not find a place to live.