Can I remove items from parent’s house that belong to me after they died? - Estate Planning Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I remove items from parent’s house that belong to me after they died?

I removed items from parent’s house after they died; these items belonged to me while I was living there now my sister who is the executor of will threatened to have me arrested.

Martinson & Beason, PC

If those are your items, you can remove them from the house. The police and Sheriff's typically don't get involved in estate disputes over property or assets.

Answer By John Simmons
John Simmons

Yes, you may remove YOUR items. Your sister can prevent you from removing items that belonged to your parents. That's the question. Are the items in question YOURS or did they belong to your parents? Until that gets sorted out to the satisfaction of you and your sister (perhaps a court order determining ownership of those items will be necessary), I do not think you should try to remove them from the house. Since personal items do not have certificates of titles, as automobiles do, or deeds, like real estate does, then possession is a big part of the proof of who is the owner. If you were living in the house at the time your parents died, then you have stronger proof that these items might be yours than belonging to your parents. However, the mere fact that you were not living there at the time does not mean that you cannot prove to the judge that they are your items, merely being stored by you in your parents home after you moved out.

She can threaten all she wants. If she challenges you, however, the difficulty may be proving ownership of the items. She will have the same problem, however. This is not a criminal matter, under any circumstances.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

No you cannot remove items from the home. You will have to prove the items are yours and not estate property.

Asset Protection and Elder Law Center

It depends. This is a bit sticky so rather than answering your question I really think it is important for you to consult in person with a Trust Attorney. They will get all of the information and guide you properly. We need more information in order to answer this question and make sure you are properly advised and legally protected. Make sure you get a consult to assist you with this question and your potential rights to your parent's estate/Will.

Answer By Frank Granato
Law Offices of Frank D. Granato

In general, no. You need to consult with the executor of the will.

Answer By Craig Epifanio
Craig Epifanio, P.A.

It is supposed to be done through probate, however, you can't be criminally charged for taking your own things. Trespassing might be another matter though. You should try and talk this over with the PR so as to avoid any future problems.

Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski

You need to be careful. Your sister's job is to marshal the assets of the estate. If you have property there, you should petition the court, in the absence of an agreement with your sister, to recover your property.

Answer By Victor Varga

Why was your stuff there? If really your property, then you have every right to them.

Answer By Brian Haggerty
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.

If they actually belonged to you, there is no problem. Your sister's power as executor only extends to those things owned by your parents.