Can I refile for patent protection after the application was abandoned? - Patent Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I refile for patent protection after the application was abandoned?

My Patent Application was abandoned after I did not answer the final Office Action. What recourse might I have? I have the Trade Mark issued on the Idea. Can I refile something for protection?

Answer By Hasse & Nesbitt
DANIEL NESBITT

You can revive a patent application that went abandoned unintentionally, by filing a petition to revive the application promptly after discovering its abandonment, along with the required fees, and the response to the last final rejection action.

Answer By Deepak Malhotra
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC

You could possibly file a petition to revive depending on a variety of factors such as the reasons for the abandonment and when the application or other prior art was published. It may also be possible to file a new application; e.g., on improvements.

Michael M. Ahmadshahi

You may file a petition to revive the application if your failure to respond was either unintentional or unavoidable.

Answer By Marcia A. Devon
Devon & Associates

It is possible that you could revive your patent application or re-file the application depending on the facts. You should act immediately by contacting a licensed patent attorney. I do not understand your statement about having a "Trade Mark issued on the Idea". A famous judge is known for his quote: "ideas are as free as the air." Perhaps you have a name or a logo which you use in selling your product?