Can I plea self defense if a man is injured while he tried to attack me? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I plea self defense if a man is injured while he tried to attack me?

A drunken belligerent man was following a girl on the street. She knows him. She tells him multiple times to stop following her. She gets upset because he's slurring and making her feel uncomfortable. She says stop following me or I'll punch you. He grabs her arm and she turns and hits him. He falls backwards. He hits head on pavement. He is rushed to hospital. There is bleeding in his brain. He has an operation. He survives. The girl is charged with aggravated assault. Will she be able to plea self-defense? It's important she not have a criminal record for her work.

Answer By Lisa Mulligan
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC

This certainly sounds like a situation where you acted in self-defense. You should speak with an experienced local attorney about the details of your case to get a better idea about how things will go in court and what needs to be done to prepare your defense

Self defense is a defense to a criminal charge. It is not a plea. A plea is basically guilty or not guilty or no contest. The defense of self defense has to be proven at trial. You should hire an attorney.

Law Office of James Bordonaro

Yes, she can argue self defense. She also has a lack of intent defense as well. Does she qualify for a public defender or if she needs an attorney we may be able to represent her in court.

Answer By Kiran K. Nair
Law Offices of Kiran Nair

Yes but I strongly recommend she get an attorney because self-defense is complicated, and generally requires proceeding to trial. If she is a non-citizen, then she especially needs an attorney who ensures that she does not plead to a serious offense under immigration laws.

Answer By Kevin O'Grady
The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady

If a person wants to argue the defense of self defense you need to have an attorney that is willing to fight all the way for you.

Answer Applies to: Hawaii

Answer By Frances Ruiz
Ruiz Law Group, P.C.

Every case is different it depends on the particular facts and circumstances. Whether the person has a criminal history etc.

Answer By Cynthia Henley
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

She needs a lawyer to help her but yes, it could be self defense in that situation. She has the right to hit him if he grabs her.

Answer By James A Bates
Law Offices of James A Bates

That sounds like self defense to me. She did not use a weapon. He attacked her first. It is only bad luck that he hit his head on the pavement. She wins, I predict, but nothing is guaranteed in this world.

Answer By Jules Fiani
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law