Can I move out of state if I have a DUI? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I move out of state if I have a DUI?

I was supposed to move out of my home, but I got a DUI. Will I be forced to stay in the state to deal with the consequences? Is there any way I can take care of it at my new location?

Lowenstein Law Office

It depends on several factors.

Answer By Michael Bialys
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN

You can leave the state as long as you have counsel to represent you and they can settle your terms to be completed out of state.

The Chastaine Law Office

You can have an attorney handle the case without your personal appearance. It can be all done by mail.

If you leave without taking care of it a warrant will be issued for your arrest. After you have resolved the case there is no reason why you would be prevented from leaving.

Answer By Paul Wallin
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation

You will need to retain an experienced DUI attorney who can appear in court on your behalf if you are residing in another state. You likely can have the lawyer handle the case for you without you remaining in California. There may be a required alcohol program involved and you will have to discuss with your lawyer if you can do the program out of state or not. Go to wklawdui.com for more information on how we can help you.

You will need to hire an attorney. They can make all the appearances for you and you will be free to move.

Answer By Thomas Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller

You can move out of state as long as you do all the things the judge orders you to do as a part of the sentence. If you are an out of state resident when he enters judgement ( sentences you ) you may get by with not doing the weekend work program. But if you are still an in state resident at that time the judge will require you to attend 12 weeks of classes in state. So, you may consider leaving now and hiring a lawyer to appear for you. That way you don't even need to come back for that.

Answer By Jeff Yeh

If you are convicted of a DUI, then you will have to do a California Alcohol Program. That's why you should consider hiring a lawyer to reduce the charge so that you "don't" have a DUI and don't have to deal with the consequences that come with a DUI.

Grant & Grant

Yes if u hire a dui atty to represent u in California Court Appearances. There is also an issue of taking the classes in another state.

You can complete your DUI requirements out of state. You do need the courts approval to do this and you need to do your classes at a place that is approved by California.