Can I keep state and federal tax refunds under chapter 13? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I keep state and federal tax refunds under chapter 13?

Answer By Katie M. Stone
The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone

You must turn a copy of your tax return and the check from the IRS (you must request a check and not direct deposit) over to your chapter 13 trustee each year you are in your bankruptcy. They will send you back any portion that is exempt. If you are paying 100% of your chapter 13 plan, you can keep your return. I hope you found this answer useful.

Answer By Eric Lewis

The answer to your question depends entirely on your Chapter 13 plan, as proposed and confirmed. Some debts can keep tax refunds under certain circumstances, in whole or in part, and others cannot.

Depends upon your plan, but usually you cannot.

Answer By A. J. Mitchell
Law Offices of A. J. Mitchell, LLC

You are required to forward all Federal tax refunds to the Chapter 13 Trustee during the period of your bankruptcy. If you should have a compelling need to use or keep any of your tax refunds, you must file a Motion to Retain Funds with the Bankruptcy Court and attend a hearing relative to same.

Stuart P Gelberg

That is a matter of local practice. Generally no unless you're paying unsecured creditors in full.

Yes and no. If you filed your BK earlier this year and received your refund after you filed, your attorney will have to reconcile this in the Chapter 13 plan analysis (you end up paying a portion of the refund you are not allowed to keep to the Chapter 13 Trustee for the benefit of your creditors). Earned Income Credit and Child Tax Credit can not be touched by the Trustee, so these amounts you can keep with no adverse affect.

Answer By Marjorie Guymon

No. They are contributed to your plan, in addition to your monthly payments.

Answer By Jane Downey
Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.

Usually you can unless the trustee requests them. Obviously you aren't withholding enough if you are getting a refund.

Answer By Kirby G. Moss

Take a look at your Plan as it should state specifically whether you can or not. Basically, if you have committed to paying 100% of unsecured claims filed in your bankruptcy, you can likely keep refunds. If you haven't so committed, you can't. Check with your attorney if questions.

Answer By Janet Lawson

Most likely not, especially if it a confirmed case. Look at the confirmation order. If you are going to file now, get the refund first.