Can I keep the profit from the sale of my property after a chapter 7 discharged 3 years ago? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I keep the profit from the sale of my property after a chapter 7 discharged 3 years ago?

Can I keep the whole amount?

David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law

It was discharged. But, was the case closed by the trustee? If the asset was listed on your schedules, claimed as exempt by you, and abandoned by the trustee, you are good to go.

Answer By William Rhymer
Rhymer Law Firm

Usually yes and yes, unless the property sold for a lot more than you told the court it was worth and the trustee claims you purposely misled the court about the value of the property. Talk with your Chapter 7 lawyer and he or she can give you a more definitive answer.

Answer By Shawn N. Wright

As a normal rule, once your Chapter 7 case is discharged and closed, then you have no further duty to report back to the Bankruptcy Court or to the Chapter 7 Trustee. I don't know all the details of your specific case, but as a general rule, you would be able to keep all of the net proceeds of your real estate sale.

Answer By Mark Cherry
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC

Make certain that there was an "Abandonment" by the Trustee in the Bankruptcy. If so, the answer is that you can keep the profit after payment of the secured debts,

Answer By Dorothy G Bunce

As long as you included the property in your Chapter 7 petition and as long as you claimed it as exempt, you are free to do as you please with whatever property you own. Any liens against the property will have to be paid in order for you to deliver a clear title.

Answer By Kirby G. Moss

If your case was closed back then(you would have received notice of this) then you can keep the profit based on these limited facts.

Answer By Stella Havkin

Yes. The trustee can only go after the sale proceeds for 6 months after discharge.

OlsenDaines, PC

Assuming your bankruptcy is closed (receiving a discharge is not the same as having your case close) and your home was protected by a homestead exemptionwhich allows you to keep your home after bankruptcy-then yes, you may keep all proceeds from the sale of your home. You should review any and all paperwork that you received from the court and the trustee's office to ensure that your bankruptcy case has closed properly.

Answer By Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson

If homestead then yes.

Answer By Debby Bowinski

Yes, as long as the property was correctly listed an valued in your bankruptcy schedules at that time.