Can I keep my car after bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I keep my car after bankruptcy?

I need my car to get to work. Can I keep my car if I file for bankruptcy?

Answer By Eric Lewis

Generally, if the car isn't worth much or is worth about or less than what is owed, one can keep the vehicle after bankruptcy.

Answer By Ron Salas
The Salas Firm

Yes you may so long as the equity in your car is less than $5,000.00.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

In most cases you can keep your car.

Answer By Paul Stuber
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law

If it is paid for or the net value is within the exemption you can keep the car. If you owe on the car you will have to keep paying the secured creditor.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Most debtors keep their vehicles in chapter 7 bankruptcy under Colorado exemption law. It depends on how much equity you have in the vehicles and whether you are current on any vehicle loans. Get a free consultation with an experienced bankrupty attorney, since more facts are needed to determine if you lose your car in bankruptcy.

If your car is claimed exempt you can keep it. If it is financed you need to pay for it.

Answer By Janet Lawson

It is rare to lose a car. You are either making payments on it, it has little value above the debt owed OR it is fully exempt.

You can exempt it up to your state's allowable exemption amount .

Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.

Most likely you will be able to keep your car if you keep up with the payments and you're not driving around in brand new Lexus.

Answer By Darren Aronow

It depends if you own the car outright, if you lease or if you finance the car. If you own it, then you are entitled to an exemption which may allow you to keep the car. However, depending on your other assets, you may qualify for a Federal exemption which allows you a substantial wildcard exemption. If you lease or finance the car, the lender will ask that you sign a Reaffirmation agreement in order to keep the car. This basically says that the terms of the loan are in effect regardless of the bankruptcy and that if you default after the bankruptcy discharge, then the lender has all of its rights to repossess the car and go after a money judgment. You should speak to a good attorney to see which you qualify for so that you may save your car during this process.