Can I keep my bankruptcy file private? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I keep my bankruptcy file private?

I dont want anyone to see that I filed for bankruptcy. It is something that I am ashamed of and I dont want to deal with having to answer any questions from my family. Is there anything at all that I can to do hide these records?

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

No.

Bankruptcy filings are public records and are included in your credit report.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

No, filing for bankruptcy is a public record. However, it is not a public record that can easily be found. There is no shame for filing bankruptcy. It's the path to a better life.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

First, while it is embarrassing to be forced into a BK, its nothing to be ashamed of. Almost 40,000 bankruptcies were filed last year in Colorado alone. Its a tool to get out from under debt, sanctioned by the US Constitution and Congress. That said, BK filings are public records. But unless someone knows to look it is unlikely your family will know you filed.

Answer By Cate Eranthe
Eranthe Law Firm

No. If bankruptcy was easy everyone would do it. The bargain is full disclosure in exchange for a discharge of most debts. That being said it seems unlikely that your family would look up the current bankruptcy filings to see if you filed. Anyone can look them up online or in the courthouse but they are not published in the local or other newspaper. You should also know that if you owe money to your family or have had other financial dealings with them, you will have to list that in your bankruptcy paperwork.

Answer By Eric Lewis

Bankruptcy is a public record, open and available to inspection.

Answer By Mengjun Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu

No, bankruptcy is public information and anybody that decides to pull your credit report will see it. Also, anybody that has court filing access will be able to see your entire bankruptcy case. But besides that, your friends and neighbors won't be able to see it unless they intentionally look for it.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

Bk filings are a matter of public record. If someone really wants to know they could find it. However, it has been my experience that it is somewhat difficult to obtain this info.

Answer By Harry L Styron
Law Office of Harry L Styron

All federal court files are scanned and entered into the PACER system which is on the Internet. However you have to have a log in and pay .08/page to look at the files. All bankruptcy files are open for inspection at the office of the clerk of the court where they were filed.

Answer By Gary Lee Lane
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).

No.