Can I give up my parental rights if my child's mother refuses to let me see her? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I give up my parental rights if my child's mother refuses to let me see her?

I willingly pay child support monthly. I don't see/speak with my child. I'm considering giving up my parental right as her father, being that my daughter's mother won't let me see her or speak with her. The only time her mother contacts me, is if she wants money. It is nothing regarding my daughter or her well being.

Answer By William Spern

Rather then give up your parental rights, you should seek an order of visitation in the divorce case or in the paternity case.

Answer By Cassandra Savoy
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy

If you want to see your child, you should file a complaint in the non-dissolution unit of the family court and get court-ordered visitation. Public policy in New Jersey dictates that both parents get to bond with their children. Public policy also dictates that you can't change your mind and not be a dad any more.

Answer By Janice L Boback

You cannot give up your parental rights unless someone else is going to adopt your child - absent a pending petition for adoption, your cannot waive your parental rights.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

You can try but bet on Mom arguing it is not in the child's best interest. Termination of your rights (voluntary or otherwise) terminates your obligations too - so she will not get child support.

Answer By Steven Dunnings

No you can't but you should file parenting time complaints with the Friend of the court's Office and/or file motions to hold her in contempt of court for failure to comply with the parenting time order.

Answer By Mack Taylor

You are not required if you are the legal father. If you are the legal father you should already have a visitation schedule in place. If she will not adhere to the visitation schedule then you should file a contempt action against her.

Answer By Rodney Pierce

There are two people being hurt here daughter and dad. Your daughter needs to have you in her life. It is very important for her. Ying because you fell your daughter needs your help and you love your daughter. I would suggest that you contact a family law attorney and get a 30 minute free consultation. You may contact my office and I will be happy to discuss the issue with you right away.

Answer By Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook

You can only give up your parental rights in Ohio if another man, who is married to the mother, adopts the child. If the mother will not let you see the child, you should file in court for the right to do so.

Answer By Ruchee Patel

You can't voluntarily give up your parental rights unless there is an adoption or neglect petition. If you want to see your daughter, you need to file a visitation petition.

No you cannot ask a court to let you be a deadbeat dad, refuse to support your child, and make it the taxpayer's responsibility. You cannot sign away paying support and must pay support or go to jail. If you want visitation, you hire a lawyer and seek it.